Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about the bookmarks.

I'd like to do two things:

First, I want to copy the entire list of bookmarks to another computer. The file that contains them is supposedly "places.sqlite". I can't verify that because I can't open it in any human-legible format, but that's the info I'm finding by Googling it. I'm assuming that I can either copy that file to a CD and install it in the same directory on the other computer, or perhaps even email myself the file and then just download it from the other computer. I haven't tried that yet but I don't see why it wouldn't work. HOWEVER, what happens if the other computer already has such a file, and I don't want to replace it? Is there any way I can merge the bookmarks from computer A with those from computer B?

Second, I'd like to have a human-readable list of those bookmarks. Ideally it would contain the name of the site, just the way it shows up when you pull down the bookmarks list, AND the actual URL. Does anyone know whether there's a way to do that?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Sorry, this doesn't answer your Firefox question, but it's an option I use to avoid problems like this.

I use the bookmark feature on Google's toolbar.  So my bookmarks are available on all 4 PCs that I use and I can access them via the internet if I'm using someone's PC that does not have the Google toolbar installed.  It's a nice little feature.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Kim  --  a good option to know about for the future!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
All your bookmarks are in a file called "bookmarks.html". If you want to sync bookmarks between computers, I'd recommend the Xmarks plugin for Firefox. It syncs both ways. I use it to keep my two Macs and my XP machine all up to date.

Mike

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like exactly what I need! I take it that this will merge the bookmarks on the two computers, putting both sets into one file. Thanks!!

(Now, if anyone knows how I can get a viewable list too....)

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even better, then there's no need to repeat the process, right? 

·
Registered
761 Posts
Xmarks will do a quick update when you open and close your browsers, which will update and sync your bookmarks so in a way it's always repeating. But no, once you have the extension installed and configured, you're set.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Xmarks is wonderful!!! I highly recommend it; it has simplified and coordinated my multiple ether lives tremendously

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
You can copy them to another computer without any special plug-ins or such:
  • Ctrl-Shift-B to bring up the "Organize Bookmarks" window.
  • Select the "Import and Backup" menu, then the "Export HTML" option.
  • In the resulting save file window, save it wherever you want, then copy it to the other computer.
  • On the other computer, do the same as above except select "Import HTML" instead of the export option.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It's kept my sanity with four separate browsers. My primary machine is a Mac Book Pro running Boot Camp with Leopard and XP Pro, so keeping FireFox updated with Xmarks saves loads of time right there. My other two computers are a work desktop and a home desktop that sren't used very often, but still just as important. I used to use Google Broser Syns until they discontinued it for some reason.
Be sure to let us know how it goes Susan.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far I'm thrilled with the options it gives me.  Thanks, all of you, I appreciate the help! 

At the moment Xmarks is popping up with a little screen every minute or so asking for my user name and password.  I can exit from that, but it's annoying....  anyone know how I can make it shut up if I'm only at the computer for a few minutes and don't want to bother signing in to anything?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I suggest you just enter your user & password.... It should only ask you the one time. The only time I ever need to do so is if the software gets updated.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The same here. I have a little 'X' in the lower right window of my browser that I can click where I can quickly access Xmarks. If you click that, you can fill in your password, username, etc. There are a variety of options there too.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I think that I have now said how useful KB is for gaining info at least 20 times.
But it is. Thank you Susan for asking such interesting questions and thank the rest of you for the incredible responses.
Just what one looks for on the net.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pidgeon92 said:
I suggest you just enter your user & password.... It should only ask you the one time. The only time I ever need to do so is if the software gets updated.
I thought it would leave me alone if I signed in, but then it asks every time I change to a different site. Not a great improvement over asking every minute or so.... still, I'm glad I installed it! Thanks again, everyone.

edit to add: Geoff, the people here really are incredibly helpful! :D I've learned a lot here too, not only in this thread.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It never asks every time I change sites. It might be how you have either Xmarks or your firefox security settings. I'll take a look at mine and see what I can find.

EDIT-Susan on the second tab, 'SYNC' do you have Password checked under Synchronization Types. Maybe it's syncing passwords for sites you're logging into?
Or is Xmarks asking for your Xmarks password?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Susan in VA said:
I thought it would leave me alone if I signed in, but then it asks every time I change to a different site.
This is not how it ought to behave.... Definitely something not right in the settings.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts