Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the second of three books in the Distant Cousin trilogy.  It will be a few days before I go to the third one, just because I have sooo many books to read.  I have to read a dtb before I can do another kindle, gotta get the dtbs out of my house!

If you like a book with sci-fi, love interests, bad (not evil) guys, intrigue, adventure then this trilogy is for you.  I can't say too much about the second book because you really need to read the first for the follow-on.  But this is definitely a comfortable book to read, you will have a pleasant feeling after finishing.

If you have not read the first one, definitely get it - then the second is a must - and following on that I am sure the third will leave  us all wanting more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
I started this then I noticed it was going to be a book klub so I stopped reading to wait until Klub time. I liked what I read so far though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
Am I the only one who hasn't been able to get into this book? I tried the sample - twice. I just can't bring myself to buy the book. My first question was,
why in the world did Darcy use the escape pod in the first place, and if she absolutely had to do that, why did she burn it
? OK, so she's "impulsive." There's impulsive, and then there's suicidal. Nobody is that impulsive. It's like jumping off a cliff and in mid-air saying, hmmm, let's think about what I'm going to do when I land. Then there is the descriptions. The first time, I immediately deleted the sample when I got to "The meeting room...was crammed with FBI agents in suits and two female agents not in suits, but close to suits." WTH does "close to suits" even mean? Why are the female agents are less professional than the men?

Did anyone else feel like me and end up enjoying the book?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marianner said:
Am I the only one who hasn't been able to get into this book? I tried the sample - twice. I just can't bring myself to buy the book. My first question was,
why in the world did Darcy use the escape pod in the first place, and if she absolutely had to do that, why did she burn it
? OK, so she's "impulsive." There's impulsive, and then there's suicidal. Nobody is that impulsive. It's like jumping off a cliff and in mid-air saying, hmmm, let's think about what I'm going to do when I land. Then there is the descriptions. The first time, I immediately deleted the sample when I got to "The meeting room...was crammed with FBI agents in suits and two female agents not in suits, but close to suits." WTH does "close to suits" even mean? Why are the female agents are less professional than the men?
FBI agents are notorious for wearing dark blue suits, with white shirts and dark ties and short haircuts - sorta like IBM service people clones. Not quite suits indicated to me that the women were actually "different" and free-thinking, which regular FBI agents are not, as a rule.

As to your "spoiler" question, that is answered later in the book.

But all books are not for every one. I hated disliked very much the Charlie Huston books and others on the board loved them, and I don't mind blood and guts books I just did not like his style/story.

Also her impulsiveness is also explained in her personality, remember she is NOT of this planet.
8)
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I loved the books and yes, the spoiler question is answered later on.  There is one thing in the first book that I had questions about and I asked All about it.  He said I am the only one to mention so far.

I'll be lurking in the book club to see if anyone else brings it up.  I wont say anything until they pass that part of the book.


I liked the Charlie Houston books except for the end of the third book.  It was disappointing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
Thanks for the replies, Anju and Vampyre.  Sounds like the parts I questioned may actually be intentional plot points then.  I love most science fiction, and it seems like everyone just raves about these books, so I wondered why the sample left me a little disappointed.  Maybe I'll give the first book a try during the book club.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
marianner said:
Thanks for the replies, Anju and Vampyre. Sounds like the parts I questioned may actually be intentional plot points then. I love most science fiction, and it seems like everyone just raves about these books, so I wondered why the sample left me a little disappointed. Maybe I'll give the first book a try during the book club.
Im another one of the ravers. These are 3 soon to be 4 books that i cant imagine anybody not liking. There is something for everybody in them. I think youll like them if you give them a chance. I just dont think that the sample would give you enough to really get into the story. These books are so very well written that i think youll really enjoy them.
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
What I like about the series is the way it's written.  It's a very smooth, calm style that keeps me interested.  The characters are so likeable and Darcy just makes you want to hug her, she so charming and cute.

Just beware of the spoilers that are in the descriptions of nooks 2 and 3 on the Amazon site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice to have you back Vampyre - did you have a good trip?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey I'm old enough as it is, don't need to add more years in a short week LOL LOL

I thought you went to North Carolina for a few days?

Notice that Angela is finally back on line!
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I go to Charlotte on the 24th for Kim's book signing.  It's like waiting for Christmas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I've just finished all three Distant Cousin books and loved them. I would say it's soft sci-fi so if you are loving blood and guts gore, it's not there, but lots of fun adventure and character development is there.
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I think it'd be a great mini series. This actress reminds me of Darcy.



She has the right voice and look with a hair cut. First time I saw her was on Buffy. She predicted her own death and Buffy tried to stop it. She was just on The Mentalist as a Wiccan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
MaureenH said:
I've just finished all three Distant Cousin books and loved them. I would say it's soft sci-fi so if you are loving blood and guts gore, it's not there, but lots of fun adventure and character development is there.
Ohhhhhhhhh, these sound good! Amazon, here I come (again, and again, and again.........)
 
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Top