Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Book/Part 3 is the shortest and quickest. Our roller coaster makes its final climb, and we're off!

Discussion questions

1. As Matt attempted to find his missing wife, did you make any guesses about what might have happened to her?

2. In chapter 2, what was surprising about what Ana was doing, and how she was doing it? Given what Hleo told Matt, were you thoroughly confused?

3. In chapter 5 we finally learn some of the reasons for Ana's behavior. You were probably curious about her history--did the background make sense?

4. Did you get a taste of Thoman culture? In general, how would you characterize it?

5. How did the four Thomans strike you?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
1. As Matt attempted to find his missing wife, did you make any guesses about what might have happened to her?
Since I had read this before I knew, but trying to remember - thought that the "family" had showed up, or she had escaped to the island, but that was way low on the idea list

2. In chapter 2, what was surprising about what Ana was doing, and how she was doing it? Given what Hleo told Matt, were you thoroughly confused?
not confused at all, but I do think Hleo could have been a little more forthcoming

3. In chapter 5 we finally learn some of the reasons for Ana's behavior. You were probably curious about her history--did the background make sense?
Yes, and as it evolved, I was glad that they went to the Antartica for their first visit

4. Did you get a taste of Thoman culture? In general, how would you characterize it?
possibly the same as the culture was many eons ago, only advanced technically, almost as if the Thomans were afraid to change from what they were when they were transported

Snobby - not Uncle, but sister, brother-in-law and the jerk, he was too a** kissy

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
For her to take off as she did, I figured her family had arrived. Normally she says something to Matt, even if its just a few hours notice.

I didn't find it surprising (except that the pod still existed) and I thought she was being quite clever. I agree with Anju, Hleo could have been a little more forthcoming.

Uncle seemed quite happy to see Ana again. Sister did not seem too "overjoyed" to see the sister she thought she'd lost she definated deferred to her husband (which from what Ana has told Matt is probably culture), Bro-in-Law wants something, I think he still upset from being jilted. And the jerk? It was pretty obvious he thinks that he has a chance with Ana. And I think BiL is behind it. Should have highlighted it, didn't he say something about the plan?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Discussion questions for Part 3, chapter 6 - 10

1. How did Ana's thumbnail description of Earth's peoples to her relatives strike you?

2. Why do you suppose Hleo didn't simply tell Matt what Ana was up to?

3. Was anything unexpected about Ana's harrowing escape from the Coast Guard drug interdiction plane?

4. Bennec and Ana spoke Luvit to each other, which was indicated by italics. Was that clear to you?

5. What did you like about the character of Bennec?

6. Bennec was faster and stronger than Ana, so how did she manage to get the jump on him?

7. Why did the ER nurse think Ana was an angel? What were those "heavenly vibrations" she felt?

8. Was the ending satisfying?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
1. How did Ana's thumbnail description of Earth's peoples to her relatives strike you?
I thought it was right on - but her relatives would never get it, they are too self absorbed

I still don't understand, I think with their history he would have been a little more upfront, but then maybe he did not understand human emotions - human as in earth

3. Was anything unexpected about Ana's harrowing escape from the Coast Guard drug interdiction plane?
not really but I was surprised that she was surprised, guess she had not heard about the drug planes and the govt going after them. I liked that the pod was still waterproof, but it had been in the water when she got it out so there was no reason for it to not still b

4. Bennec and Ana spoke Luvit to each other, which was indicated by italics. Was that clear to you?
made it much easier to follow that it was Luvit

absolutely NOTHING - saw too many of these jerks in the workforce

6. Bennec was faster and stronger than Ana, so how did she manage to get the jump on him?
just because he was faster and stronger does not mean he was smarter

7. Why did the ER nurse think Ana was an angel? What were those "heavenly vibrations" she felt?
welllll if Ana had her hair uncovered (by a wig) and the flight suit was probably glowing in the lights and there was no obvious means of transportation, why not an angel. The heavenly vibrations were the feelings from the pod that others have felt, i.e., Matt when it arrives, or is this a spoiler?

sure, why not, got rid of the jerk, but I kept waiting for him to show back up, being caught on a tree or something, so glad he ended up in the canyon from far up enough to take care of him

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Stayed up past midnight reading b/c I had to see what happened…First thing this AM, downloaded the second book! I think this last part of the book was my favorite so far. It was great to finally read about Darcy's past and her interaction with her own people. I kept rushing through the Matt chapters to get back to the Darcy chapters! ;)

As I was reading this part, it occurred to me that I should pause and try to guess what Darcy might be up to; however, I couldn't stop reading! I was a little annoyed that Matt kept threatening to call the authorities though, since he knew from Hleo that she had not been abducted and how much Darcy wanted to avoid attracting attention.

The background was fascinating! I thought the visitors would be some distant uncle, but to have the group made up of her favorite uncle and sister, as well was a former suitor who has now married her sister is grounds for great intrigue! (Reaches for Kindle to read the next book…)

Quite formal, bland food. ;D

I think there is genuine love btw Darcy and her uncle and sister. However, the relationship with the sister might be complicated by normal sibling rivalry and politics, as well as Ianthe's marriage. Watch out for Ianthe's husband! In addition to being power-hungry, I agree with mom133d that he is probably feeling jilted by Darcy. Not so much that he lost her, but rather that he lost face. Bennec is incompetent yet ambitious.

Discussion questions for Part 3, chapter 6 - 10

Succinct and quite accurate. Darcy is very perceptive.

Darcy and Hleo were probably worried that Matt would follow her and draw attention to her mission.

Yes

Hmmm….still thinking….Even the cats didn't like him. :p

Having Matt there to cooperate with her helped. Also, like Anju said, Bennec's not too observant or smart.

No! ;) I have to know what happens next!!!

N :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You gotta understand: Matt was worried about his wife--really worried. He probably wouldn't have ever "called the cops," because what could they do? But he sure could rattle Hleo, and that's most likely what he was doing. Ease up on Matt. He's in a tough spot and he's doing the best he can!

So, you all didn't like Bennec, huh? Well, the poor guy couldn't help himself. He was unhinged for some reason, possibly the difficult business of traveling across the galaxy, but he sure made a good bad guy. I hated to kill him off, because he might have been useful in the future as a bad guy. But there was no other choice. Anyone who falls onto those rocky mountains from a couple thousand feet is not going to come back in a later volume, unless the story is about zombies (which it isn't). No disrespect intended to zombie fans....

I don't have to tell you. There will be other bad guys. There always are. The problem is identifying them....

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
BrassMan said:
You gotta understand: Matt was worried about his wife--really worried. He probably wouldn't have ever "called the cops," because what could they do? But he sure could rattle Hleo, and that's most likely what he was doing. Ease up on Matt. He's in a tough spot and he's doing the best he can!

So, you all didn't like Bennec, huh? Well, the poor guy couldn't help himself. He was unhinged for some reason, possibly the difficult business of traveling across the galaxy, but he sure made a good bad guy. I hated to kill him off, because he might have been useful in the future as a bad guy. But there was no other choice. Anyone who falls onto those rocky mountains from a couple thousand feet is not going to come back in a later volume, unless the story is about zombies (which it isn't). No disrespect intended to zombie fans....

I don't have to tell you. There will be other bad guys. There always are. The problem is identifying them....
Yes, I admit I probably was a little impatient with Matt in Book 3, b/c I really wanted to get back to Darcy! Also, I was surprised you killed off Bennec. Not sorry...just surprised. ;)

N :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, if you like, think about it from an author's perspective. If Bennec survived, what would you do with him? I mean, he wasn't supposed to be there, he couldn't speak the language, and he was an unguided missile. Honestly, what could you have done with him? Sorry, Bennec. Hasta la vist, bro.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I think Anju and Neekeebee covered my reactions as well, so I won't just repeat what they said. ;) But...

Yes and no... I suppose I must now read the next book to get the answer to my burning question(s). hehe

Now that Matt has commited murder, what affect will it have? Darcy had mentioned that the group was "balanced", does Ben's death affect that balance? Will they see his murder as an act of aggression on Earth's part? BAH!

I read the rest of the book just waiting for something to happen to Matt!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mom133d said:
Now that Matt has commited murder....
Wow! You sound like the prosecution! Murder?

For the defense, then, I'll plead that a few minutes earlier Matt was attacked by the guy while the guy was in the process of abducting a woman. The guy knifed him and was fixing to kill him by dropping him from a high altitude. I'd conclude by adding that there was no intent on Matt's part to kill his assailant. His death was an accidental consequence of justified self-defense.

I'll further admit that Matt is not Mr. Excitement. He leaves that to his wife. I'll close by waxing metaphorical: every ship needs an anchor. Anchors are often overlooked, but without one, disasters can follow. It's the same with families.

The defense rests. The jury may deliberate.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yes, it was self-defense, but will the Thomans understand that?

I guess I've watched and read too many dramas where an act like this would result in a declaration of war or at the very least a huge misunderstanding.  I hope nothing bad comes of it, maybe the Thomans will be relieved that their unstable member is no longer an issue.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was a serious matter, no doubt about that. I was going to let that go, until readers wanted to know more about the new family and all the rest. So, one of the first items of business in Distant Cousin: Repatriation is a hearing, conducted by Rothan Darshiell, to lay out all the facts.

It would have been anticlimactic in volume one. Sorry!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
BrassMan said:
It was a serious matter, no doubt about that. I was going to let that go, until readers wanted to know more about the new family and all the rest. So, one of the first items of business in Distant Cousin: Repatriation is a hearing, conducted by Rothan Darshiell, to lay out all the facts.

It would have been anticlimactic in volume one. Sorry!
Hey, Brassman, sorry I got sidetracked while reading Distant Cousin. I have finished it now, though, and I'm very glad to hear that we will be hearing more about the Thoman delegation in the next book! I'll probably read it after a short break from the Distant Cousin world. Are we going to have another book club for that one?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem. There's no hurry.

Yes, the Thoman delegation formally arrives in Repatriation. That's one of my wife's favorite scenes.

I'd be happy to continue this Klub on into volume 2 if that's what y'all want. I'm a little embarrassed to ask Betsy (I hate self-promotion  :-[ ), but I'd be tickled if you and/or others asked her.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
BETSY - can we have Brassman continue with the Distant Cousin book Klub??????????

PLEASE, pretty please, pretty pretty please

1 - 17 of 17 Posts