Kindle Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Playing catch up here...haven't had too much reading time lately! 

I really liked that Ana and Nino became friends.  I think Ana was really lonely for company and reading/learning and Nino just never expected a hostage to be nice and connect with him.  I'm kind of worried that since Ana made a TV appearance, now Nino will be killed by his bosses for letting Ana go unharmed.  I was actually really thinking Ana would go back to Thoman with Matt and the twins!  I imagined Book 3 would be about their new life on Thoman!  ;D  What a great opportunity for Michelle, though!

Now I wish we had read King Lear in high school.  I guess it is never too late, but Shakespeare has always seemed a little daunting to navigate on my own.  ???

N :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
The honest truth is that I didn't expect Ana and Nino to become friends either. They pretty much did that on their own. I brought them back together in Reincarnation, and...well, they took up where they left off...sort of. Nino's fate is made clear, at least.

You're not the first to want more about Thomo, Neekeebee. There's more about Thomo in the spoiler thread, but not enough to really spoil anything. It's ok to check out. If I did devote a large part of a subsequent story to Thomo, that really would be science fiction. Right now, I consider the books a series about a family, a fairly unusual family, to be sure.

King Lear is considered by many to be Shakespeare's greatest play. It's tough to act, supposedly, but easy to read, I think. The whole plot is laid out on the first page. It really is about an old man and his relation with his daughters--the notion of family and familial duty is key. There's a sub-plot or two, but nothing complicated. Anyone who has a copy with glosses will find it no problem. (Remember? Nino didn't know what glosses were. They're the notes at the bottom of the page that explain words and phrases, as needed, for the modern reader.) Just like sampling with a Kindle, you could try a page or two or three and see how it went.

There are probably good movie versions at Blockbuster or Netflix. Lawrence Olivier did one of the better ones. So did that guy who replaced Captain Kirk on several Star Trek movies. Can't remember his name, but he was bald and good--a great actor. Great voice, too. Who was that?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
BrassMan said:
There are probably good movie versions at Blockbuster or Netflix. Lawrence Olivier did one of the better ones. So did that guy who replaced Captain Kirk on several Star Trek movies. Can't remember his name, but he was bald and good--a great actor. Great voice, too. Who was that?
Do you mean Patrick Stewart? He played Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation. He is a renowned stage actor. He also played Ebeneezer Scrooge in a movie version of A Christmas Carol several years ago, and that was also wonderful.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
That's the guy! Patrick Stewart!

Thanks, marianner!

Yes, indeed, he's a terrific actor. I think his Lear is better than Olivier's, truly. He was excellent as Capt. Picard too, don't you think? And that voice!

61 - 66 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.