Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some romance novels on Amazon the other day and wondered what the author looked like.  I could picture this young beautiful woman with love and lust in her eyes.

But what I saw was this overweight older woman that didn't look very romantic or sexy.

I guess that is why I won't be putting my picture on Amazon.  I don't fit the image my novels portray.

So are you disappointed when you see author's pictures?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Franklin Eddy said:
I was looking at some romance novels on Amazon the other day and wondered what the author looked like. I could picture this young beautiful woman with love and lust in her eyes.

But what I saw was this overweight older woman that didn't look very romantic or sexy.

I guess that is why I won't be putting my picture on Amazon. I don't fit the image my novels portray.

So are you disappointed when you see author's pictures?
LOL now I'm wondering whether to go incognito ;D

I was surprised by Louise Bagshawe, I thought she'd be more vibrant-looking, if that makes any sense. I like to think every romance writer looks like Jackie Collins, myself included haha.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When the Sebastian Junger book, The Perfect Storm, came out, his author picture was real beefcake — he was clutching the line on a sail boat, his shirt was open, it looked like he had just ripped off about 150,000 sit-ups. I was sort of hoping that he had hired a model to be "Sebastian Junger," but it does seem that it was actually him.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
There have been numerous cases where I've seen an author's picture after I've read one or more books and became a fan -- and I'd wished I'd not seen that picture: either they looked completely "wrong" to me for the type of books they wrote, or their fashion sense was almost embarrassing to see, etc. Sometimes I wonder who picked the photos.

Oh, and what is it with authors and hats? It seems as if, based on dust jacket covers, authors are more likely to wear hats than non-authors. ;)

Hmm...note to self: if you ever become a published author, knowing how non-photogenic you are, resist any/all requests to include a photo of yourself on/in the book.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
NogDog said:
There have been numerous cases where I've seen an author's picture after I've read one or more books and became a fan -- and I'd wished I'd not seen that picture
Oh, yeah. I can think of two of my favorite fantasy authors whose pictures make me not want to meet them in a dark alley. ;D

Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Romance author Lisa Kleypas is a former Miss Massachusetts. She's beautiful and an excellent writer. Hmmph! Some girls have all the luck!  :)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Nope.  I guess for the same reason I don't pay much attention to cover art either.  Part of me wants to say, "I guess I'm just not a visual person" but I love art.  I love handsome men.  I guess there is some sort of block for me when reading.

One thing I have noticed though, women authors tend to put their most dominate physical trait in their heroines.  Read books where the leading ladies were short and later on found out the author was short, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
apbschmitz said:
When the Sebastian Junger book, The Perfect Storm, came out, his author picture was real beefcake - he was clutching the line on a sail boat, his shirt was open, it looked like he had just ripped off about 150,000 sit-ups. I was sort of hoping that he had hired a model to be "Sebastian Junger," but it does seem that it was actually him.
That's cool. Sebastian Junger is the author that's been linked to my book through "Customers also bought" for months.
;D

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm surprised EVERY time.  I now prefer to think of the writer's voice as their "inner" appearance, because sometimes we don't look on the outside the way we do on the inside.  That seems especially true for writers.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Alain Gomez said:
There's an old cheesy 80s movie with a subplot about a guy who's a really successful romance writer but his mother is his "front" because his editors think it makes his work more credible lol.
Haha excellent :D

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One of my favorite authors is Leo Frankowski, who wrote a series about The Crosstime Engineer, which takes place in Poland during the middle ages.

His main character fights and does all kinds of feats. I was surprised to see a picture of him and he was overweight and out of shape.  Of course, he was older in the picture and may have been in better shape when he was younger?

But I had a hard time relating him to the books he wrote. 

Like I said before, I hope all of readers picture me as being handsome and charming.  Now as long as I don't let them see a picture of me, I am safe.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Nah. I don't tend to assume writers look a given way to begin with.

I do like to see a photo, mind you. It's nice to be able to put a face to a name, however fair or foul said face may be.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts