Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking here in the shadows for a week now.  I have yet to purchase a Kindle, but am saving up my "mad money" and hope to have one by the end of the year.  Thus far, from reading the forums, here's what I need to check off my list before buying ...

1) Make sure you have access to Whispernet if you don't want to download from a computer.
2) Make sure to get a different case or fix the case that comes with the Kindle.
3) Be thinking of names for the Kindle ... sort of like choosing names for a puppy or expectant child.
4) Buy Leslie's book on the Kindle.
5) Watch out for the ever present possibility of getting addicted to this board.

Is there anything I have missed, or am I good to go as soon as I have the $$$$? 

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hiya Bruinboy...welcome.

Hmmm, you've pretty much covered it but it's optional to name your Kindle...lol. I'd like to name mine but I haven't found anything suitable yet ;-p

I wouldn't let the lack of Whispernet deter you from getting a Kindle. Downloading is a snap...dropping and dragging.

As you've probably already noticed...quite a few here don't yet have Kindles but are enjoying the fun banter here.

Again, welcome to the group :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Since Leslie has become a moderator, #4 will become mandatory for forum participation. We're going to have to submit receipts!

Just kidding, Bruin. Our intrepid moderator has never used her position here to sell her book. However, it's a very good reference on the Kindle, and quite worthwhile to own.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hi Bruinboy....you have pretty much 'got it'. ::)

You can switch 3 and 5 interchangably of course. Welcome Aboard.

·
0 Posts
1) I wouldn't pass on the Kindle for this reason. It's still well worth it, but whispernet does make it really nice.
2) The only reason you might need a new cover is to try and find SOME reason not to like it so that you can justify to yourself spending $50.00 or more for a nice leather one. Otherwise, the original cover works just fine.
3) Absolutely
4) Absolutely
5) Absolutely

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Howdy Bruinboy and welcome to the board. :)

I would say that items 1-4 are all optional, although I have purchased Leslie's FAQ for future reference. I still haven't used the cover that came with Kindle with no name, although I have one on order. #5 is inevitable, can't be helped!! I would say your only issue is saving your $$$ as fast as possible so you can enjoy having a Kindle ASAP!

Note: you may not have to have access to Whispernet, but you do have to have an Amazon account set up with a US address and US credit card.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hey Bruinboy, welcome...

That's a pretty good list. I might add:

1) Go to www.coinstar.com to find a Coinstar machine that gives Amazon gift cards. They go a long way to feeding your addiction. In fact, they might help you save up to get your Kindle sooner!
2) Start saving for two Kindles so Mrs. Bruinboy can have her own (I assume that is who is standing next to you in the picture). Kindles are hard to share.
3) If you buy my book, use the link on any of my posts. That helps Harvey to keep this forum alive. Thanks for your support!

Welcome and glad to have you here...

Leslie

B

·
0 Posts
Don't forget, you must have a plan in place to pay for the books for you yet to be Kindle (unless you are planning on taking advantage of all the free older titles out there).

And, don't knock the standard issue cover, it is not that bad once you get used to its quirks.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I agree with the book light - I have the mighty bright and really like it, especially since I can move it around to avoid the glare on my screen. 
I also agree with Lucky - some people are really passionate against the standard cover, but I really like it.  The inside is kind of a moleskin and I really like the feel of it when it's folded around and I'm reading.  I suggest trying it - you can always order later if you don't like it. 

·
0 Posts
Oh, yeah. The book light's an absolute must. Our power went out for a few hours the other night and while everyone sat around in the dark complaining about no television and carrying around flashlights, I was comfortable as could be, sitting up in bed reading.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
asordu said:
Oh, yeah. The book light's an absolute must. Our power went out for a few hours the other night and while everyone sat around in the dark complaining about no television and carrying around flashlights, I was comfortable as could be, sitting up in bed reading.
I don't have a book light, but I never thought about the power going out.... I'll have to add it to my Christmas wishlist. ;D

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I haven't thought about lights either as I have quite an extensive collection of book lights from years of reading in bed at night so as to not to disturb the hubby!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Leslie said:
Hey Bruinboy, welcome...

That's a pretty good list. I might add:

1) Go to www.coinstar.com to find a Coinstar machine that gives Amazon gift cards. They go a long way to feeding your addiction. In fact, they might help you save up to get your Kindle sooner!
2) Start saving for two Kindles so Mrs. Bruinboy can have her own (I assume that is who is standing next to you in the picture). Kindles are hard to share.
3) If you buy my book, use the link on any of my posts. That helps Harvey to keep this forum alive. Thanks for your support!

Welcome and glad to have you here...

Leslie
I was not aware of the coinstar thing! You are my official - I learned something new today person!

Welcome Bruinboy!! You pretty much got it down pat!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, that is Mrs. Bruinboy with me ... and... she'll have to save up for her own.
Also, thanks for the tip about Coinstar ... I had never heard of them and we have 10 in town!!!

A day closer to owning my own Kindle. 

Thanks for the warm welcome and evaluating the list!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts