Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one book I've published to Kindle is adult/crossover, but I have a Children's (mid-grade) fantasy novel that's with a publisher at the moment. If/when they send it back with the usual 'not for our list' (as the last two have) do you think I should publish it to Kindle or should I send it to another publisher? I know that kid's books are not selling huge numbers at the moment, but I'm hoping that JK Rowling's decision to epublish will draw more kids that age to ereaders. So is now the time to publish children's novels? I can't decide.

Something I should probably add is that though this is fantasy, it has a definite Australian feel to it (it starts and finishes in the real world and the characters have Aussie traits). Would that put off American and British readers?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't really see the harm in publishing it. Though, you might want to consider a pseudonym if you don't think the audiences of your first book and your children's book would mix.

As for the content. I like reading books written by someone from another culture. It's insightful. (As long as it's in English, otherwise I'm just confused and a bit lost.)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answering, Josh. My adult novel is really 'crossover' so I don't think I really need a pseudonym, but I'll think about it.

Still wondering if there's an market for children's ebooks yet, though.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Three, so far, but when they all take 6-8 months and ask that you only send it to one at a time, it gets rather frustrating. It made it to the very last desk with the first one before being rejected.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I can't advise you, Skate, because I'm sitting in the same boat. Scoot over and make room.  ;) I've got several middlegrade manuscripts sitting on my computer and haven't decided what to do with them. Agents weren't interested and a part of me hates to begin the long rounds of waiting to hear back from the small number of editors who will even look at unagented work.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dara England said:
I can't advise you, Skate, because I'm sitting in the same boat. Scoot over and make room. ;) I've got several middlegrade manuscripts sitting on my computer and haven't decided what to do with them. Agents weren't interested and a part of me hates to begin the long rounds of waiting to hear back from the small number of editors who will even look at unagented work.
*shifts carefully over on the seat* There you are, Dara. I know how you feel. Here in Oz, most agents won't take on unknown authors and most publishers won't take on unagented authors, so we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. So if I did get the feeling there was half a chance my book would sell as an ebook, I'd jump at it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
My MG novel was my best seller until I released Broken. In paperback, it's still my best seller. The market is slowly growing,  but it's not an easy sell. You need to sell it to parents since they're the ones buying it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts