Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.....

I'm on Day 2 of a 3 day free run and I'm #2 in the Kindle Free store. To answer how I did it, I ran my book on The-cheap.net (our new combo is promote when book is free and then again when book is not free to jolt the sales) and that was free since I run that program, and the KND Daily Deal sposnsor ($60) and Kindle book Review ($20) I think. I also got picked up Day one by ENT in their 5 PM freebie release.

My question is will it hurt my afterwards ranking to let the book fall gracefully tomorrow or should I cancel that third day? I'm at 30,000 downloads. I don't really give a fig about using more free days later, in my experience later runs don't do as well. I'm thinking it won't hurt to get extra downloads as the book falls out of the top spot (okay second to top spot, but seriously, who's going to beat Les Miserables a book with a movie just out?). But to be honest, this was again a lark, just like I did last year, and I was hoping to get somewhere in the top 1,000 in Free. Never, ever, ever, did I dream I would be #2!!!!!

So yeah, advice and insight welcome. And please don't hate me, last month I sold 12 copies. So trust me, this is welcome serendipity, but not something I expect to last (though I have the screenshot!)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would recommend letting it run since you're ranked so high. It's tough to get momentum on free days sometimes, and the stars have aligned for you on this one :)

Congrats!

·
Registered
332 Posts
My understanding is to let the book run, to pull in as many downloads as possible. It is the actual # of downloads, and not the rank, that determine your placement on the popularity lists. I would monitor the rate of the overall downloads, and only consider pulling the plug if that number slows down considerably. With a #2 spot, you have a lot of visibility and that alone should help you get more downloads.

Oh, and by the way, your book was also featured on BookBub (I think today). They help bring in some good numbers too.

And, finally, CONGRATS! Wishing you many fabulous sales after ;D Great way to begin the new year!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HA! See, I don't even know everywhere it was featured. Thanks for telling me Bookbub too.

See, that's what I thought, it was overall # of downloads, which just went over 30,000 and is at about a KDP reported rate of 80 per minute. Yes. Per minute!

Last year I made it to #27 in overall free January 30th, with about 10,000 downloads. And when I hit about 13,000 downloads, I was #21 in the Free Kindle Store, to show some of the exponential leap those top 10 spots truly have.....

·
Registered
332 Posts
Elizabeth Ann West said:
HA! See, I don't even know everywhere it was featured. Thanks for telling me Bookbub too.

See, that's what I thought, it was overall # of downloads, which just went over 30,000 and is at about a KDP reported rate of 80 per minute. Yes. Per minute!

Last year I made it to #27 in overall free January 30th, with about 10,000 downloads. And when I hit about 13,000 downloads, I was #21 in the Free Kindle Store, to show some of the exponential leap those top 10 spots truly have.....
I really think with 30+K downloads you will have amazing sales after. Juice it as long as you can! And, hey, you never know, you might just knock Victor Hugo down a peg. And wouldn't that be satisfying? Oh, the bragging rights . . .

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Teehee, I posted in our friends of the Cheap I was losing to Victor Hugo and the readers are taking to their social media pages... wanting to take down the crusty old book. LOL....

But yes, that would be one cocktail hour story I would relish telling.... let me tell you about the time my book beat out a classic they teach in schools....

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Elizabeth Ann West said:

Many congratulations Elizabeth. Where are you able to track that per-minute download figure please?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
A BookBub ad for a free romance is running $160 now. Very occasionally they'll run a book off the free list if they don't have a spot booked, but it would be surprising that they had an opening during this busy free season. Did you not buy the ad there?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did not buy a bookbub ad. But working in book advertising I understand why they run books if nothing else is booked. It's a constant balancing act taking ads but also keeping readers happy so you can keep selling ads etc. Honestly I thought I was crazy spending $80 in ad money for a free run but as my partner pointed out most ebook sites are desperate for new free titles to promote. I don't do the deal hunting side of the house I only do the tech work and author ads. She does the get up every morning and hunt for books to share to get clicks and affiliate monies. I explain how ebook marketing sites work in my latest blog post on eawestwriting.blogspot.com id put in link but typing this on my kindle fire.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Elizabeth Ann West said:
I did not buy a bookbub ad. But working in book advertising I understand why they run books if nothing else is booked. It's a constant balancing act taking ads but also keeping readers happy so you can keep selling ads etc. Honestly I thought I was crazy spending $80 in ad money for a free run but as my partner pointed out most ebook sites are desperate for new free titles to promote. I don't do the deal hunting side of the house I only do the tech work and author ads. She does the get up every morning and hunt for books to share to get clicks and affiliate monies. I explain how ebook marketing sites work in my latest blog post on eawestwriting.blogspot.com id put in link but typing this on my kindle fire.
Thanks, Elizabeth. I'm completely clear in how ebook marketing sites work. As I mentioned, I'm just quite surprised that the popular romance category on a popular site was not booked during a very popular time for setting books free. I know when I booked an ad with them a couple of days ago I wasn't able to get my first choice of days. That's all.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Agreeing with not cancelling. You can squeeze a few dollars out of today by cancelling early, but if you notified sites it would be free all day today, then it sucks for their readers.

30k downloads?

I predict 75 sales tomorrow and the next day, gently tapering down to 10 a day in 2 weeks, then back to normal in 30 days.

Just my prediction.  :)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry Phoenix didn't mean to sound like you don't know. :) I am supposed to be limiting my computer time during "family time" and didn't count on this rocket ship of a free run to happen. How do people with only tablets DO THIS?? I hate autocorrect. I wanted to explain better why sites will grab a book doing well but not on this thing. Lol. Its taken me ten min just to type this...

So about to go to bed just shy of 35 k downloads in 48 hrs. My download rate was from refreshing my kept report pg. That's why I said. It was KDP report pg rate.... Going to leave book free tomorrow as I agree it's total downloaded not rank...I just haven't followed the intricacies too well since I left select last march.

I am thankful for everywhere that highlighted the book paid or not and still feel incredibly lucky to see my book with a #2 next to it. It was worth it just to see that... no matter what sales result. Though I will try to report those when I can.

·
Administrator
10,147 Posts
Big congrats, Elizabeth! Joe's having an awesome free run right now, too -- currently at No. 4. Kudos to you both!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.