Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard several times that there's more leeway for stylized illustrations like that compared to cover models with this kind of thing on Amazon, but does anyone know if that is actually true? I know that it's usually fine on B&N.

Do the stylized characters have to be clothed, or do you think an artistic censor (like the stereotypical leaf or screen splatter) would get past Prudazon's mods without issue? I'm not sure how strict their censors are with this kind of thing.

Edited for vagueness so it's more relevant to lurkers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,620 Posts
If I were you, I'd ask Amazon about this. Try to get to someone higher up than the initial customer service folks, and describe what you have to them. Get their response either way in writing, and keep it for future reference.

Often the level of nudity allowed relates to the genre. Erotica is always scrutinized, but other genres can get hit for the cover. One can often get away with more steamy covers on romance, for example, but there are no guarantees.
 
G

·
Holland d'Haas said:
I just didn't realize how naked she looked until I was done. Oops.]
If it looks naked to you, it will look naked to others. Do you NEED her to look naked for some reason?

A book cover is a marketing tool. So treat it as such. Can you make her look less naked and still be a good marketing tool, or do you risk getting some overzealous person reporting the cover and getting the book pulled?

Your issue is less Amazon's censors and more the general public. Amazon, despite all claims to the contrary, is a reactive company. They don't really do a lot of review on the front end of things. They react to reader complaints after the fact. So it doesn't even matter if a customer service rep tells you the cover it all right. That won't stop a second rep from pulling your book if it gets a complaint and THAT rep makes a different determination.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,275 Posts
They'll just slap the tag on it... if they find out.

If you've seen others seeming to get away with it that aren't from big pub houses, my best guess is that it has something to do with the same reason Google doens't seem to catch all the illustrated nudity: the computers they use to scan for it can't properly detect it. That would mean you're safe as long as no one reports it.

But keep in mind that there really are people with nothing better to do than stalk websites for things to report. So best answer is: conceal your nakedness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she-la-ti-da said:
If I were you, I'd ask Amazon about this. Try to get to someone higher up than the initial customer service folks, and describe what you have to them. Get their response either way in writing, and keep it for future reference.
I'm going to try this out, thank you.

Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
Do you NEED her to look naked for some reason?
Of course not. However, this version really captures the tone of the episode, and the drafts with defined clothing aren't balancing as well aesthetically.

Vaalingrade said:
If you've seen others seeming to get away with it that aren't from big pub houses, my best guess is that it has something to do with the same reason Google doens't seem to catch all the illustrated nudity: the computers they use to scan for it can't properly detect it. That would mean you're safe as long as no one reports it.
That's a good point. I hadn't thought about the auto-flag programs they have searching through everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
Is it possible to post it, so we can see what you're talking about?
There's just no point in putting yourself on thin ice with amazon.
They'll drop you down in the dungeon if someone turns out to be offended
––that could be anyone.

I would play it safe when it comes to these covers. You still have the
blurb to convey what your story is about, but even there you should be, ah,
diplomatic... Just the way things are these days...

Also: try Selena Kitt's Excitica vendor site. Now there...they don't seem to
care what's on the cover. It's erotica. 24/7. The hotter, the better  :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kirkee said:
Is it possible to post it, so we can see what you're talking about?
There's just no point in putting yourself on thin ice with amazon.

Also: try Selena Kitt's Excitica vendor site. Now there...they don't seem to
care what's on the cover. It's erotica. 24/7. The hotter, the better :eek:
Sorry about that haha. I had taken the link out of the OP since I pretty much got my answers, but I'll tuck it back in there now.

Yeah, I intend to be more liberal on my own site, but I've gotta make sure the covers are appropriately censored for Amazon. I was just curious to know if there was a difference of standard depending on the cover style.

The Excitica site is certainly... something. :-\
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top