Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kindles are great for reading on the go, but I've discovered another surprising new aspect: I'm transferring all of the sentimental value of reading each book onto one device. Instead of looking at a bookshelf with sentimental reading value spread out over dozens of books, all of that reading experience is concentrated into one small device.

Does this mean that Kindles can have even more sentimental value than any one paper book? Does the sentimental value grow as more books are read on the same device? Imagine if one paper book carried the sentimental value of all the books you've ever read; wouldn't that be powerful? That's what is happening to me. How about you?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've been wondering about that too.  I had an original Kindle 1, and when it started having technical problems, Amazon sent me a Kindle 2 as a replacement.  And for the longest time, I resisted it. 

Partly it was because it was a pain to download all the books in my archive back onto the new Kindle 2. But I think I had really bonded with my first Kindle. I'd gotten used to the way that it felt in my hand, and I'd felt like in some way, it was a small part of the books I was was reading.

Sometimes I even think about buying a Kindle 1 as a replacement, so I can have a sentimental shelf where I keep my collection of "Kindles I have known!"

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
I certainly have developed some sort of an emotional attachment to my Kindle......I do the same thing with cars, pianos, etc. 

·
Registered
924 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
Every time I pick up my Kindle, I stroke the leather cover, give a sigh of happiness and get into a relaxed reading mode. Yes, I'm sentimental.
^^What she said.^^

I think many have experienced finishing a wonderful book wishing it would just go on and on. A beloved story is like an old friend and a Kindle is a collection of many beloved stories. This adds up to an emotional attachment for me. I was going to replace my USDX with a new DXG, but when I thought about the hundreds of books I had perfectly arranged in my collections, I couldn't bear to leave my original K, so I had to send that new DXG back. Maybe some day in the future I'll get a new DX, but for now I'm feeling pretty sentimental about it.

One DTB I feel sentimental about = $14.99
Kindle full of many, many wonderful stories = priceless.

·
Registered
568 Posts
With DTBs, I have no problem handling them over to friends (borrow or give away). If the cover comes back bent, no problem (although I might have an issue if it were  leather bound).

My Kindle, on the other hand, I would probably worry over it returning unscathed if I let a friend take it out of my sight for more than a day. Then again, I'm reading on it daily, so I doubt a friend could get it away from me for more than a chapter or two.

I don't know if I would call that sentimental, though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
Every time I pick up my Kindle, I stroke the leather cover, give a sigh of happiness and get into a relaxed reading mode. Yes, I'm sentimental.
I laughed when I read this because I did this yesterday. I just recently got a new purse which looks and feels like leather but it's not. But when I picked up my K3 in its' leather Oberon cover and sniffed, aww, that wonderful smell of leather and inside was my pride and joy, filled with hundreds of "new friends", just waiting to make my acquaintance. I have my original K1 sitting on my bookshelf and I'm sure it still works, once it's charged and doubt I will ever get rid of it, purely for sentimental reasons. So yes, I am sentimental, just the way I am about all my DTB books I won't part with. Reading is such a part of my soul so anything connected to that will have special meaning.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
That is an interesting thought, but I am not sure it would hold water with me.  For example, when I bought an iPod, I did not buy all of my CDs and transfer them there.  I don't see myself buying up books electronically that I already have in paper.  There is still something about holding a physical book in my hand that I do still love.  I don't think that will ever go away.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It's mostly because my partner got me my Kindle as a combined mother's day/birthday gift last year, but my Kindle does have more sentimental value to me than paper books. Even the paper books he has given me, because I am still using my Kindle pretty much daily, more than a year later. The only other gifts I can say that about are gifts that were more for the household/whole family (appliances).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts