Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I'm feeling down about writing (eg. why do I bother...no one will read what I write...I should be doing something better with my time...etc) I find movies to be the best picker-upper.

For instance, today I was feeling terrible and I watched Fight Club and instantly the creative juices started flowing.

Do movies inspire your writing? If so, which ones?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Definitely. The two major inspirations for me are movies written by Cameron Crowe and John Hughes. I also love reading screenplays. I have more by Crowe than any other writer and they always get me thinking. (This goes more for my current WIP than for the book that's currently out, but those guys inspire me to write, no matter what the subject matter.) By the way, I think reading screenplays is the best way to learn how to write sharper, more realistic dialogue.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I can't think of a particular one, but yes, a good story written or filmed by someone else always affects my own creativity. It can be a theme, a character, or a line that sticks in my mind and later transforms into something new.

·
Registered
548 Posts
They can, definitely. Like Avatar or Star Trek. Both with awesome worlds and great characters. They don't necessarily get the creative juices going, but they remind me why I write and what kind of stories I want to write. (I don't mean idea wise--just the world building and character growth aspects.)

·
Registered
399 Posts
They frequently get my creative juices stirred up.  

Once, a movie inspired a novel, which turned into 5.  I never though about vampires or werewolves, until the 2nd time I watched Underworld (I think about Kate Beckinsale often.  Duh).  And then BAM.  A story jumped into my feeble brain, that wormed it's way deep inside, and forced me to write up an outline.  Within 2 weeks I was heavy into writing Black Heart (a future epub release).  That novel's main character inspired 4 more in the series.

edit:  The story "Long Day's Night" in my signature is from that fictional universe, and has Sable Hart (called Black Heart) as a secondary character.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I get inspired by movies - though generally it is to go 'that was a stupid idea - I could do better.'  And then a story ideas spawns (but rarely gets acted upon.)

·
Registered
982 Posts
I avoid watching movies because of this. If I watch a movie about vampires, I'll want to write about vampires for three days.

If I actually act through with it, I'll scrap the vampire story at the end of the three days when I lose the inspiration.

That's why I prefer to watch movies that are in my sub-genre.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Other than my absolute hatred and loathing for the movie, Braveheart, and the conviction that the story needed to be told right, no.

·
Registered
155 Posts
JRTomlin said:
Other than my absolute hatred and loathing for the movie, Braveheart, and the conviction that the story needed to be told right, no.
You're AWESOME for that. I'm halfway through your first book and have only put it down to comment here. It's brilliant thus far...

And I find inspiration in anything creative that's done well. Walked by an art exhibit last night and felt like working on my novel. Watched a pretty good movie over the weekend, and went to be working on my novel. Read a great e-book ("No Shelter" by Z. Constance Frost) and got inspired.

Am reading a great e-book right now (see above) and know how I'm spending my morning...

All these things are different too. The art inspiration was truly found in a very impressive piece that focused on the face of the kangaroo. Something about the way they'd captured the eyes really touched me. The movie was dark and odd, but deep. The "No Shelter" book is secret assassin actiontastic and "Freedom's Sword" is historical fiction (actiontastic too).

Yet they're ALL inspiring because they're done so well.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Mobashar Qureshi said:
Whenever I'm feeling down about writing (eg. why do I bother...no one will read what I write...I should be doing something better with my time...etc) I find movies to be the best picker-upper.

For instance, today I was feeling terrible and I watched Fight Club and instantly the creative juices started flowing.

Everything in life has an effect on my writing, subconsciously or otherwise. It's part and parcel of being a writer. Life is constantly throwing ideas at me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mobashar Qureshi said:

Fight Club is great for inspiring action!

I started guerrilla gardening (and some other not-so-legal things) after watching that film.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Absolutely. In fact, any media that tells a story can inspire and teach. I learn many presentation techniques from Opera, a media that needs to balance many disciplines to be effective. Now you mights say, Opera? How corny. But studying Verdian, Puccinian and even Wagnerian techniques can transform blah novelk scenes into icons. I once built an effective scene based on Mozart's Marraige of Figaro - not on the plot, but on the structure - aria-duet-trio-quartet-trio-duet-aria -

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
794 Posts
vrabinec said:
Movies don't seem to, but oddly enough, music and/or excercise do. Must have something to do with what it does to the brainwaves.
I've got to agree, especially on the effect of exercise. When I'm stalled and can't write my way out of a paper bag, a workout usually helps get me back on track.

WPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts