Kindle Forum banner

Do random people ask you about your Kindle?

6K views 68 replies 52 participants last post by  akpak 
#1 ·
This may be covered in another post on this board so ignore this if you've already answered this question.  If you are in public and using your Kindle, do you find yourself answering questions from random people? 

A TSA employee asked me a bunch of questions in the Dallas airport and my BF got stopped by two different people on the subway yesterday asking if he liked the Kindle. 

#2 ·
Yep, quite a bit.

I've had sales people want to see it (dig through my posts and you'll read about the Sears girl who nearly tackled me for a chance to hold it).

Monday I went to Tokyo Joe's for lunch and I'm sitting there eating my dark chicken rice bowl with peanut sauce reading away when I here over my shoulder "excuse me is that a Kindle?"  This guy, probably in his forties, knew all about them but had never seen one.  He kept saying he'd been hoping to see one in person.  I let him play with it for a few minutes and was very glad my romance novel wasn't on a steamy scene at the moment.

I'm flying to San Diego in June.  I wonder if when Kindle owners fly we should stand up right after the flight attendants finish their safety speeches "and now for your pre-flight Kindle demonstration". :D

Lara Amber

#3 ·
LaraAmber said:
I'm flying to San Diego in June. I wonder if when Kindle owners fly we should stand up right after the flight attendants finish their safety speeches "and now for your pre-flight Kindle demonstration". :D
Amazon should advertise the Kindle in airports, and in in-flight magazines. (Or maybe they do now, since K2 came out?) I would think that the frequent-flyer population is an ideal target for marketing.

#5 ·
Sweety18 said:
All the time, and I always explain all the features and let them hold it.
I have people ask me all the time about my kindle, but I'm very nervous about letting them hold it. I didn't let strangers hold my children when they were little, and I feel the same way about my K2. Look but don't touch. :)

#6 ·
"sigh" Nobody has asked me about my Kindle yet. I keep hoping and waiting, alas. I spent 3 hours at the service shop today, and still nothing, (and you know how crowded those places are.) I even had a very "friendly" woman spend the last hour telling me every detail of her life, but she wasn't intrested in my necessity, even though I was reading when she started talking at me. Necessity was all dressed up in her stand alone skin, and was left... standing alone, neglected in my lap. Maybe its a good thing that they dint ask me, I really don't like the general public, and it would be harder to get much reading done. But just once, I would love to show her off.

#9 ·
No one has asked me.  I don't have it out in public every day, but I've used it on the subway a few times and on infrequent train rides (2 hrs.) from NYC to Asbury Park and back.  Have also had it out in cafes, but don't eat out that much these days.  It's fine with me. 

#14 ·
I get asked about it several times a week during my commute on rapid transit. It does seem like more people have heard of it compared to when I first got it last year. Everyone wants to hold it (although they always wait until I offer) and I've also discovered that they love the fact that you can change the font. Yesterday, a person who had demo'ed the Sony was amazed to find out that we had 6 font size choices. I don't know as I've never seen the Sony, but he said it only had two font size choices - small or very large.

I'm always looking for ways to convince others to buy a Kindle and the font size seems to be a big selling point.

#15 ·
My husband and I were invited to a party last weekend, and I was specifically asked to bring my Kindle as several people coming to the party were interested in it. I've noticed that choice of font size is a big selling point to people I've talked to, also.

I've had several people ask me about my Kindle when I'm reading in public, but also a lot of people seem to want to ask, but are reluctant to intrude. But the older I get, the more outgoing I become, so sometimes I just plunge right in and ask total strangers if they are readers, and if so, would they like to see my Kindle!

Two people I work with have bought Kindles - one of them based on my continual yapping about how much I wanted one.

Hey, Lara Amber, welcome to San Diego! You may get our famous June Gloom at that time of year, but we are still proud of our beautiful city.

#17 ·
I don't why, but no one has asked me about my Kindle and I take it everywhere with me! I have noticed few people looking at me (it) but no approach whatsoever. I think it must be a NE Texas thing... people don't appear to be overly outgoing with strangers!  8)

#18 ·
I was having an early dinner alone in a nearly empty restaurant the other day.  The waitress first asked what my kindle was (which I was happy to answer).  She then came back later, actually sat down in the other booth, and started asking specific questions.  As she left, she said *your kindle is the talk of the staff*.  Sure enough, before I finished dinner I had 3 waitresses, 1 waiter, and what I'm guessing was the manager all stop and ask questions!  I didn't get much reading done, and my dinner got a bit cold, but it was worth it to see so many people excited to go home and look up Kindles on Amazon.  ;D

#19 ·
Jammie said:
I have people ask me all the time about my kindle, but I'm very nervous about letting them hold it. I didn't let strangers hold my children when they were little, and I feel the same way about my K2. Look but don't touch. :)
I haven't had anyone ask me about my Kindle other than family members (very surprising since I use it in public quite a bit), and I was very nervous about letting them hold it. I agree with you -- I would show my Kindle to a stranger if asked about it, but would not let them hold it. If it was accidentally dropped, I would imagine all that I would get is an apology and then be left to deal with the financial consequences. Too high a price to pay in my opinion.

#20 ·
I had an eye appt a few weeks back and the entire office asked about my Kindle. That's the only time I've been asked, but I haven't been going out for lunch...

#22 ·
I take the GeekBook™ out of its amazon case and let them touch the glorious skin and see how deliciously sensuous it is to hold.  Utah folks will talk to anyone.  This is the place where 50% of the men have been on missions for their church, so they have no problem talking to strangers.

#23 ·
I was at the ER with my mom and the dr. there said he had a K1 and wanted to look at mine.  I told him he needed to sell his k1 and get a k2.  A nurse came in and saw us talking she bought his k1 and he is ordering a k2.  It was kinda cool to see all the interest.

#24 ·
I'm averaging about one a week in various different places.  What's interesting so far is that most everybody that's asked about it already knew what it was -- the conversations almost always start with "Is that a Kindle?" immediately followed by "Do you like it?" -- I suspect most of the folks I've talked to about it were fence sitters --- interested but not enough to buy one yet.  And if the comments made are any indication I do believe at least a couple of Kindles got sold because of it.

#26 ·
I used to get a lot of questions, but oddly enough since I skinned Ginger the number of questions I get has decreased. It is almost like she is now incognito.

Of course my DH would simply say that it is because I am not hearing the questions because I am so involved in my book!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.