Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a couple of times that the letters have faded as I read from my Kindle 2?  I never had this problem with my Kindle 1.  I had to press Alt + G every time I changed the page.  Does anyone know if this is a longterm problem?  I'm scared.   ???

·
Registered
116 Posts
I haven't seen any fade so far. Mine can look a little washed out and I do get some ghosting at times. I am curious what Alt G does though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called Customer Service, and the CS rep helped me reset it, and it looks fine.  It only happened a couple of times, and I have managed to fix it, but I don't want it to become a continual problem. 

I have also asked about the left-justification feature available on Kindle 1, and the CS rep put me on hold to speak to others in the CS team about it, and she said that that feature will come up in an update.  (Now that's good news.)  She also advised me that if more customers email the request to them, they will be more than sure to apply that feature on the Kindle 2 sooner.  Trust me, it makes reading from the Kindle less annoying.  I know that not all books work with the left-justification feature, but many do.  It never hurts to add that feature.  :)

So call or email CS for that feature if you haven't done so yet.  I apologize for digressing, but I decided to kill two birds with one baseball bat, and update you guys about the left-justification feature. 

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
ElLector said:
I called Customer Service, and the CS rep helped me reset it, and it looks fine. It only happened a couple of times, and I have managed to fix it, but I don't want it to become a continual problem.
You may want to keep track of whether this occurs across the board, or only on certain books. I've seen it happen only with certain letters in certain fonts--which only show in two of the books I have on the K2. My suspicion is that it's the book formatting and not a problem with the Kindle itself. On the other hand, if a reset fixes it...... ???

I should see if those books are mobi or topaz formats; now to remember which ones they were!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi VictoriaP,

I shall certainly keep track.  I think that 2-year warranty might be a good idea after all.  :-\

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I noticed it with the last book I read, but I assumed it was because I as well into the battery by then. Once charged everything looked good. Now I'm curious...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was reading a newspaper this afternoon and my letters suddenly got really faded as well. I just powered it down (not standby and not a full reset) and when I turned it back on 15 minutes later it was fine. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone with this issue.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I have discovered something. Okay, I'm sure you have seen the ad where you see the woman at the beach reading her Kindle with no problems at all. Well, reality struck for me! I think my Kindle is defective, or everyone's kindle is defective. I seriously hope not, though.

I took my lunch break at work today, and decided to happily enjoy reading my Kindle 2 outside on a sunny day, so, as I turned on my Kindle to read a book, the words were faded! I step back into the clinic, and refreshed the page, and it went back to normal. I decided to go outside a second time on this oh-so beautiful sunny morning-I say it with emphasis-and lo and behold the words faded again! The sunshine has been fading the words. I proved it to myself by changing the pages, and the words got more faded. I went back indoors, and the fading disappeared. Question: Will I be able to read my Kindle at the beach? Or is my Kindle 2 just plain old defective?

I'm calling CS. :mad:

Update: I'm getting a new one. Customer Service is very good. He told me that the device is defective, so I will be getting the new one March 12. That is fast, man. Again, my friends, for those who are suffering from the same problem with your Kindle, and if you happen to be in a sunny area, turn your Kindle on and see if the words fade. I hope I have helped bringing this problem to the forefront. (Oh, and before I forget, he also mentioned that it is probably a problem with the contrast.)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Yes, the sunlight issue is a known problem for a small percentage of K2s.  Mine isn't one of them, I've tested it several times--so any letter fading isn't related in my case.  Glad to hear CS is getting you a new one right away!

I am letting the battery run low again before I recharge to see if the power level is related. So far, all the letters are still fine, and I still can't remember what I was reading this last time I saw the problem.  Hopefully the issue resolved itself, but if not, hopefully I can provide some further data on the conditions that cause it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
VictoriaP said:
Yes, the sunlight issue is a known problem for a small percentage of K2s. Mine isn't one of them, I've tested it several times--so any letter fading isn't related in my case. Glad to hear CS is getting you a new one right away!

I am letting the battery run low again before I recharge to see if the power level is related. So far, all the letters are still fine, and I still can't remember what I was reading this last time I saw the problem. Hopefully the issue resolved itself, but if not, hopefully I can provide some further data on the conditions that cause it.
Yeah, I confirmed it today. I said to myself, "This isn't making any sense." I knew there had to be a problem with the device. I'm glad that CS responded quickly. Sometimes, it depends on the CS rep too. This morning, I dealt with a CS rep that was HORRIBLE. She was trying to evade the problem by telling me that it was NOTHING at all, and that it was normal. Well, she was wrong. I'm glad that I got one that actually knew what was wrong, and took care of the problem right away. Now, I hope that this problem won't happen again with my new order. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This makes perfect sense! When I was reading the newspaper I mentioned, I was outside in direct sunlight as well.

Unfortunately, I'm taking a greyhound to the next state over for spring break, so I can't call CS and get mine replaced till afterwards!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recall this same behavior with my first gen Kindle. I always figured it was just a downside of e-ink technology, despite Amazon constantly bringing up the ability to read in direct sunlight in their ads. Text was still legible and it wasn't a big deal for me, but I have a feeling with the slightly lower overall contrast of the Kindle 2 screen (reported elsewhere in the forum and I've noticed this as well on my Kindle 2), the effect would definitely be more pronounced as described here. I'll see how my Kindle 2 behaves tomorrow.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
(Laughing to myself) I think Amazon is going to have to rethink that ad with the woman at the beach reading her Kindle. I could just imagine my fellow Kindle owner thinking to herself, "Hmm, ahh, it's a beautiful day today. The sun is out, and everything is fine and daddy. No problems here! It's just me me and my Kindle," and as she turns her Kindle on, and gets to her text, "What the expletive!?! Where are the words?"

Okay, thumbz, let's keep our fingers crossed, and hope that this problem won't happen again.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
thejackylking said:
have also asked about the left-justification feature available on Kindle 1

What is this feature?
Justification is the margin on the right hand side of the text. Fully-justified (or right-justified) means all the lines/letters line up. Think of a newspaper column or magazine. "Ragged right" (or left-justified, meaning they are only justified on the left-hand margin) is what you see in many books or word-processed documents.

On the Kindle, when something is fully-justified, the letters in the line may be spaced funny to stretch them out to the margin. It can be annoying to read.

On the K1, you can change this, although it is not universal. It will not work on some books which has to do with how the ebook file was formatted in the first place. But if it is changeable, here's what you do:

1. Bring up the font menu.
2. Press Alt-J. This will add an option for justification to the font menu.
3. Choose left or full justification. If it works for the book you are reading, the justification will change.

This feature is presently not available on the K2.

L

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just tested in sunlight with my Kindle 2: I noticed the fading after refreshing the page. To me, it looks more like little highlights in each letter, sort of streaky. It's about the same as it looked on my first gen Kindle. Refreshing or turning the page out of the sunlight works as expected, no streaky letters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts