Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found myself sitting in the back of a meeting today about state policy and advocacy is the insurance sector and found that I was bored to tears (considering most of the meeting was a repeat of a meeting from last week). Since I knew that if I was called on to speak, I would know what to say, I decided my total, undivided attention did not need to be on the meeting itself, so...I pulled out my Kindle and proceeded to read for the 2 hours. :eek: I know, BAD BAMBI. But I couldn't help it. I was in the back and Avalon was just sitting there in my purse, so lonely. And I figured that since most of the people in the meeting had probably never heard of Kindle, much less knew what one looked like, I felt I was relatively safe.
So I figure that as more people become familiar with the Kindle I will be able to do this less and less, but until then... ;)
And to all of those out there about to admonish me (which I probably deserve :-\), think of the times that you have sat in a meeting with your laptop and been on the internet or checking email on your Blackberry!!
Sitting in the corner,
Bambi

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Oh, I absolutely agree with you.

I was on a project for a week back in June where we cooped up in a basement room, no internet, no cell phone, for a week. It was a "hurry up and wait" type deal...we needed to wait for users to come in and test some equipment. 99% of the users came in between 11:30 am - 1 pm (lunch) and for the rest of the time (8 am to 5 pm) we were sitting around. I'd pull out my Kindle and read the New York Times from cover to cover every day, then dive into whatever book I was reading. None of the others dared to pull out a paper or book and sat around and tried to look busy. I was SO GLAD I had my Kindle...it paid for itself 10x over that week.

You are right, as it becomes more common, some of these opportunities may vanish. Another plus for being an early adopter!

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Admonishment?  Here?  I seriously doubt that.  We are actually very efficient enablers.  LOL.
I'm sure plenty of us have secretly kindled when they should have been listening more intently.
debbie

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I'm figuring I could email a work document (if I was still working in an office) to the Kindle, and if I could keep it so the "back" key took me to that document within a few clicks, I could always tell people what I was doing was work related.  Anyone remember the "boss" key that could call up a Lotus spreadsheet in case the boss was coming by?  Not that I ever used it....   ::)  Anyone remember Lotus?  Quattro Pro?

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I'm figuring I could email a work document (if I was still working in an office) to the Kindle, and if I could keep it so the "back" key took me to that document within a few clicks, I could always tell people what I was doing was work related. Anyone remember the "boss" key that could call up a Lotus spreadsheet in case the boss was coming by? Not that I ever used it.... ::) Anyone remember Lotus? Quattro Pro?

Betsy
I use Lotus Notes for my email, calendar, etc. I think it has a boss key.

But I also remember Lotus 1, 2, 3 and Quattro. Also SuperCalc.

L

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Actually, now that I think of it, sending work docs to the Kindle is a pretty cool thing to do.  And I wonder how it would work for speaking?  Big font, a few lines per screen.  Hit the button to go to the next screen.  No note cards to drop and mix up......

Betsy

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stevene9 said:
More Kindle sales = more books being made available in the format.

If publishers can't sell enough ebooks to make a lot of money, they will soon ignore the format.

Steve
I know, Steve...I did a minor in economics. And I totally agree! ;D But I really liked being able to read without anyone knowing!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drenee said:
Admonishment? Here? I seriously doubt that. We are actually very efficient enablers. LOL.
I'm sure plenty of us have secretly kindled when they should have been listening more intently.
debbie
I am sorry... could you repeat. I was Kindling. Darn, I should pay attention more!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
I'm figuring I could email a work document (if I was still working in an office) to the Kindle, and if I could keep it so the "back" key took me to that document within a few clicks, I could always tell people what I was doing was work related. Anyone remember the "boss" key that could call up a Lotus spreadsheet in case the boss was coming by? Not that I ever used it.... ::) Anyone remember Lotus? Quattro Pro?

Betsy
Totally great idea!! And yes, I remember Lotus. I also had A, B, C instead of Word for awhile.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Oh yes.  Lotus, Symphony, Excel.  And I do remember the Boss key.  My bad trick when Word Perfect was new and put on all our computers, when folks were out to lunch I put the butterfly on their screen.  Many didn't know how to get it off.  ;D  But now I am just a nice lil ole lady.  that is an LOL

·
Registered
261 Posts
BambiB said:
So I found myself sitting in the back of a meeting today about state policy and advocacy is the insurance sector and found that I was bored to tears
yes! I was in a franchise advertising board meeting on Wednesday, and someone on the board was rambling on and on about stuff that had nothing to do with me, so out comes the kindle... nobody thinks anything of someone taking out an electronic device as long as it doesn't make any noise, but pulling out a paperback would definately cause a scene. So the next day, same meeting but for all the franchisees, and since I had heard it all already, got a chance to finish the wall street journal...

I remember doing term papers using Quick Brown Fox on a Vic 20, with a cassette tape drive. Then we graduated to a Commodore 64. (I think we actually still have them somewhere in the basement - DH just can't part with his first computer) Then at my first job, using Lotus on computers that you had to use a boot disk and floppys for everything (no hard drives). DH remembers having to program on punch cards at school, but luckily by the time I got there we all had terminals. Kids today have no idea how far technology has come in just 25 years.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If asked by the police, I will swear I never read this thread and can't remember any of your names. In fact, I was out of the country and couldn't access a computer. Someone else must have logged in under my name. The Kindle is used for all good things. Now we are introducing THE DARK SIDE of the Kindle. Folks, do not be seduced by the dark side Luke (oh no, that's a movie). Be strong my fellow Kindlers. Only use your special powers for GOOD. We are THE CHOSEN ONES.  (The Power of Three, The Power of Three - oh, that was a TV show - I'm getting so confused. Pru, Buffy, Chubacca, where are you?).

Steve

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bosslady said:
I remember doing term papers using Quick Brown Fox on a Vic 20, with a cassette tape drive. Then we graduated to a Commodore 64. (I think we actually still have them somewhere in the basement - DH just can't part with his first computer) Then at my first job, using Lotus on computers that you had to use a boot disk and floppys for everything (no hard drives). DH remembers having to program on punch cards at school, but luckily by the time I got there we all had terminals. Kids today have no idea how far technology has come in just 25 years.
One of my first comps had no monitor (you plugged into the TV) and used cassette tapes. Of course I was using all of this at 2 yrs old (ha ha), so really I am not that old! :eek:

·
Registered
261 Posts
stevene9 said:
Be strong my fellow Kindlers. Only use your special powers for GOOD.
well, it's good for us...

BambiB said:
One of my first comps had no monitor (you plugged into the TV) and used cassette tapes.
yeah, that's what we had. We plugged it into a 4 inch balck and white TV. Could barely see a whole sentence on the screen at one time.

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
I downloaded and converted IRS Publication 17, so if anyone ever catches me kindling, I can show them that I'm really working.  It is important to keep that 'book' on the front page, of course.  :)

Actually, in a week or so I won't have any time at work anyway. . . . .

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
ScottBooks said:
In high school "shuffling someone's deck" was about the meanest thing you could do to them. Especially if it was a really high number of cards (400 or more...).
I used to like using the punch card machine and making the punch cards. The clack-clack-clack had sort of a zen like soothing quality. I punched in all the data for my thesis. I think I had 2000+ cards.

L

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.