Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit, I had no idea there was a whole category on Amazon dedicated to quick reads, with all the different reading times available as sub categories.

I'd been planning on putting one of my thriller shorts on there (around 7k words) and the plan all along was to offer it for free as a way of getting people to buy into my novel (a completely unrelated story, but the same genre). I intended to add the first few chapters of my novel at the end, hoping it would lead to some sales.

But after looking at the category earlier, I see there are a hell of a lot of authors selling much shorter stories than mine for 0.99 - 1.99. Of course, many of these are world famous, like Lee Childs, and so can get away with this, but a lot of them aren't.

I personally never considered charging for a 7k story, especially if it has material from my novel in the back (which would inflate the page count) but I wonder if charging SOMETHING makes them more appealing in a weird way. Are the free ones just downloaded and never read, or looked at as somehow less professional because they're being given away fro free, especially when it's not part of a larger story world.

I just wonder what people think and what your experiences are.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The better question is ...can you use it as a reader magnet to get people onto your mailing list? Sounds like the perfect reader magnet.

If you use it as a reader magnet, don't put it on Amazon. Part of the appeal is its exclusivity.
And, if you decide not to use it to build your mailing list, don't put it up for free. Charge something. Freebie seekers are a real thing. You don't want to attract them, because they are people that will only read what they can get for free. They won't pay money for books.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The better question is ...can you use it as a reader magnet to get people onto your mailing list? Sounds like the perfect reader magnet.

If you use it as a reader magnet, don't put it on Amazon. Part of the appeal is it's exclusivity.
And, if you decide not to use it to build your mailing list, don't put it up for free. Charge something. Freebie seekers are a real thing. You don't want to attract them, because they are people that will only read what they can get for free. They won't pay money for books.
Thanks for the advice. I'd planned on using a different story as a reader magnet at some point. Though I would obviously add my newsletter link to this.

It's interesting that the big-name authors on the list of shorts have a lot of reviews, and many of them are one star because people feel as though they've been ripped off. I guess they can get away with this because they get so many good reviews that it waters the bad ones down.

Another author I saw on there, who I'd never heard of, had essentially cut up a single novel into shorts, given them all uniformed covers, made the first one free and then charged for the rest. Again, a lot of unhappy readers in the review section

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was curious about how people deal with shorter fiction on Amazon, as I've only ever done novels before. Now I have a novelette (about 16,000 words) that I'd like to publish, but I don't want readers feeling cheated at getting a shorter story than they expected. How do you ensure readers understand it's a novelette? Do you put 'A Novelette' as part of the title? (It just feels clunky to me) Put it in the blurb? I already assumed I'd charge much less for it.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I was curious about how people deal with shorter fiction on Amazon, as I've only ever done novels before. Now I have a novelette (about 16,000 words) that I'd like to publish, but I don't want readers feeling cheated at getting a shorter story than they expected. How do you ensure readers understand it's a novelette? Do you put 'A Novelette' as part of the title? (It just feels clunky to me) Put it in the blurb? I already assumed I'd charge much less for it.
I have a novelette that I sell for $2.99. (I don't sell many, but I have sold some.) I put down at the bottom of the blurb that it's a novelette of 17,000 words. I've had people say that they wish it was longer, but I've not, as far as I know, had any complaints that it was too short.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts