Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For your own books?

For books you are thinking about buying?

I check for my own books and for one found ten pages of "also bought" books, from books by Jennifer Laurens to Amanda Hocking, which makes me feel as if my book is in good company.  :)

When I'm thinking about getting a book, I do look to see what books other people bought, partly to see if they reflect my interests and also as ideas for other books I might want to buy.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had never even thought of checking the "also boughts" until I saw a thread about it here...a couple of my books have 16-17 pages of "also boughts," but others have fewer. Now, I have one more thing to obsess over....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Absolutely!  And not just when I'm buying books...any online purchases!  It's the best way to find out about new authors or products in my opinion--besides soliciting suggestions from friends.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Definitely. I have a feeling there's some sort of useful algorithm at work - but the 'how' of it being useful is beyond me. So I just stick with being curious to see what other stuff people buy as well as my own things...

·
Registered
53 Posts
For me, the mix between kindle self published titles and traditionally published titles is interesting to see.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I'm looking for books, I often follow "also boughts" on a winding path through Amazon. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is so crazy! I was just clicking through my "Also Bought" section to see what was new in there and I clicked on How to Survive a Summer Romance (or Two) and saw that I was also in the "Also Bought" section of that book and was all giddy. Then I decided I've clicked through enough and should go hang out on KB for a bit and saw that you posted this!!! So I just wanted to tell you that you and this topic were already on my mind before I got to this post!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Actually, just this morning I bought a book I saw on the Also Bought list from my own book. It was pretty awesome. It's the first Also Bought I've seen on my book's page, so I was pretty excited about it. Since the book looked interesting and was cheap, I totally impulse bought it. I love the Also Bought thing, and buy a lot of times from them.

I have yet to see my own book in other people's Also Bought list, though, but I look forward to that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I actually changed the description of my novel because of the also-boughts.  I didn't want my novel associated with the book that appeared as an also-bought and didn't feel that those who purchased the also-bought would find what they were looking for in my novel.  Unfortunately, I have yet to break the association with that book, so it still appears on my product page.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IndiaLeeBooks said:
This is so crazy! I was just clicking through my "Also Bought" section to see what was new in there and I clicked on How to Survive a Summer Romance (or Two) and saw that I was also in the "Also Bought" section of that book and was all giddy. Then I decided I've clicked through enough and should go hang out on KB for a bit and saw that you posted this!!! So I just wanted to tell you that you and this topic were already on my mind before I got to this post!
OMG, that is crazy! Nice to know our books are "getting around!" :)

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
After reading this I was obliged to check my own books. Something to Read on the Plane had 30 also boughts, including Erma Bomeck, so I checked Erma Bombeck and Something... was an also bought. That was quite a thrill  ;D

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Ann Herrick said:
For your own books?
Oh, yes, I'm obsessed with my ABs. Love to see what kinds of books my readers enjoy. It's a great way to gain insight into the interests of your audience. I also like checking other authors in my genres ABs to see whether my book is among them. Vanity but there it is. :p

Ann Herrick said:
Definitely. This is how I find most of the books (and movies) I ultimately end up buying.

G

·
I go shopping for new authors in the also-bought sections of my own books. *g* I figure that if someone liked my stories, then there's a chance I'll like other authors they read.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Two of my books which do have sales don't have the "also bought" but they do have the "also viewed," so not sure what the criteria are.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ann Herrick said:
For your own books?

I check for my own books and for one found ten pages of "also bought" books, from books by Jennifer Laurens to Amanda Hocking, which makes me feel as if my book is in good company. :)

When I'm thinking about getting a book, I do look to see what books other people bought, partly to see if they reflect my interests and also as ideas for other books I might want to buy.
Yes, I do. I rarely buy books from the high street, so I rely on reviews and recommendations, or just random browsing online. What I find odd is, the UK and US pages for my book are showing very different 'also bought's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ann Herrick said:
For your own books?

Yes, I look at it for my own book. This led me to the conclusion that I probably will need new coverart for my YA novel (in my siggy). Most of the books that come up are erotica :-\

When I'm buying a book, I use the books that other people bought to see if there's something else I would buy. Usually, I end up with books that I would not normally choose on my own, and end up liking them!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts