Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else delaying in buying the first book in a series, hoping that when the next book comes out they'll offer that first one for free?

I got "burned" when they offered Assassin Apprentice for free, I had just bought it two weeks earlier to reread the series and get them all in Kindle format.  So now I'm hesitant to buy other first books.  I got read of my George RR Martin hardbacks and want to repurchase the series, but what if they offer that first book?  The same with The Dresden Files. 

Lara Amber

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
We've all been burned with prices going up and down, free and then not free, etc.  I figure the books I managed to get free or at bargain prices that later went up, make up for the ones that I missed. 

My philosophy now is, if I want it, I buy it then.  I will wait for the paperback to come out in hopes that the price will go down, but that's my only exception. 

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
So far I haven't had anything become free after I bought it on Kindle so I hadn't really thought about it.  My answer would still be no, if there is a book I want in my price range I buy it.  I was obsessing last week about whether waiting for new hardbacks (that I normally would have been waiting in line to buy on release date at Barnes & Noble) to drop in price were taking longer to reach sales number of the Bestseller List because Kindlers weren't buying them at the higher release price.  For example, a new Robert Tanenbaum is due out next month.  I don't care if it's released at $14.99 vs $9.99 - I will get it as soon as it is available.  I think Gertie is right, the free or bargain books we do find that we don't have yet far outnumber the few some may already have purchased before they dropped.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i'll delay getting book 1 if the other books in the series aren't available yet.  drives me batty when i get wrapped up in the story and then have to wait!  I'll wait for a short time if a book in a series is released for kindle with a really high price, hoping that it will go down in a week or two.  otherwise, i'm not too worried trying to get them for free, just so happy to have them at all, and the ebook is usually still cheaper than the DTB version.

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
I will add that when authors/publishers make the first book in a series free and I like it, I am likely to purchase the entire series after it. The first Stephanie Bond Body Movers series was free a while back I got it and now have all five books in the series. But the Kate Johnson Sophie Green series that was a .99 bargain a couple of weeks ago was book #4 in the series and I won't go back to get the other three even though I really enjoyed this one - I already know the basics of what happened in the other 3 because of the back story in #4. So, different strokes for different folks I guess.

BTW, I think this would be a good thread in the Book Corner!

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
No, I generally won't delay buying a book 1 when I'm ready to do so just because it "might be" offered eventually. If I lose out, so be it. Life's too short to be worrying about those things.

Lara, as to your specific comment on George R.R. Martin -- the first two of his books are available in one Kindle purchase already, so you basically get 2-for-1 pricing, or one book for free. So you can start getting that series now if you want. :) See the below link, even though the image only shows one, the page discusses them both and the Kindle version has them both; I bought it last summer so I can verify it for sure.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
When I first got my Kindle in September I did but not anymore. If it is a book I want to read I buy it although I don't pay over 9.99 for anything. There is one book I want that is $14 and a few cents, hoping it will drop. I also don't one click all free books anymore, I sample everything now before buying or getting for free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts