Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell us about it. Choose your own favorite book and tell us about your creative process. What about it makes you feel proud? (No links)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd have to say I'm pretty satisfied with my most recent book, Firefly Girl. My other books and series are YA fantasies following a male protagonist in a more adventurous setting, but what I'm proud of with this one is that in order to make it feel more like a children's fairy tale I completely changed my style of dialogue and narration, drawing inspiration from books like The Ordinary Princess and games like Child of Light.

It was fun to try something completely different and see what I could do with it.

G

·
Moist_Tissue said:
Tell us about it. Choose your own favorite book and tell us about your creative process. What about it makes you feel proud? (No links)
I am most proud of Eleanor. I spent thirteen years writing the book, persevering through many ups and downs both professional and personal, and never giving up on the book even when it wasn't going well. It took twelve years to figure out what the story really was, and then I scrapped just about everything and started over. I published it in June of 2014, and it's been my second-best performer (topped by Greatfall, my Wool fanfic novel). It had several hundred preorders, launched with over a hundred reviews; in its first couple of months it sold over ten thousand copies and went to #25 on Amazon.

The crazy thing is that it's not done yet. The book landed me an agent, and after some revisions, we sold the book to Crown (US rights), HarperCollins (UK rights), and Editora Rocco (Brazil rights). I'm now working on final revisions with my editor at Crown, and the book's due out in January 2016. I've been editing, all told, for... eight months. And I couldn't be more happy that this is the book that's getting a shot at finding a bigger audience.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Mine are like children, I love them all, but for different reasons. Some are misunderstood, others are overachievers. Most of my offspring do as expected, while others surprise me with highs or lows.

I always think my latest release is my best writing. I guess that shows I'm still evolving the craft?

So far, my best characters haven't merged with the best plot. The coolest gadgets haven't married the best world. Each of my 20+ titles has it's positive and negatives, so to pick a favorite would be nearly impossible for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Black: Poisoner. Female protagonist who started out her career killing off a child molesting uncle. Learned a lot about the female perspective on a lot of things including clothing and how they see men. Had a blast researching poisons and picked up some interesting info on wines.

This character challenged me in a lot of ways and I'm a better writer as a result.

Joe

·
Registered
282 Posts
Moist_Tissue said:
I guess with my Mountain Hold book it was a case of trudging perserverance. I wrote it in 2012-2013 but spent until 2014 ironing out the kinks, issues and edits. It was my first book that was publishing to print (not just an E-Book) which required massive learning of software like graphics editors and html.

It got done in the end though, not a big seller like some on here but the reviews are nice for the most part. Currently it's the favored book anyway. :)

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
My favorite is No Good Deed. (shhh! Don't tell the others!) I like my other books too, but feel like NGD came out exactly how I wanted it to even though it's not quite a conventional thriller.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Joe_Nobody said:
Mine are like children, I love them all, but for different reasons. Some are misunderstood, others are overachievers.
This is how I feel. Each book presents its own challenges, and overcoming those challenges is always rewarding. I like different things about different books (and am bothered by different things about different books). The minute I try to pick one to be most proud of, the others start clamoring to defend themselves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts