Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to read only fantasy and Sci/fi until I started to review Indie books, then I kept getting requests to read different genres. Some of the books sounded interesting and when I checked the sample seemed well-written, so I expanded my reading diet, but I wonder if other readers stick to the same kind of books or are open to lots of different kinds of reads.

For example, do contemporary fiction readers ever read fantasy? I have a friend who totally turns her nose up at the idea of anything not 'real'.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Variety is the spice of life, check my book bar or 80 books thread here if you doubt it. Mysteries, science fiction, horror, and lots of nonfiction on different topics. But only a minimum of contemporary fiction, and I won't even allow myself to be photographed in the vicinity of a romance!  ;D

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Genre hop.  Depends on what I am in the mood for.  Now I do not do romance but nearly every other genre is fair game.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I probably read a little of a lot of things, but mostly it's SF and Mysteries. But I also read a lot of biographies, thrillers, books on physics and astronomy, movie critiques, aviation books, comparative religion, music, linguistics, and probably a few more.

So I guess I'm in the Genre-hopping column.  :)

Mike

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Hippity-hop! My favorite genre is the one I'm reading....

Betsy
This!

·
Registered
267 Posts
My big three are Science Fiction, Horror and Mystery/Thrillers and I go back and forth between. I throw in some classic fiction every now and then to keep it interesting.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'm with the others, I also like to hop around. I think it used to be that readers stuck with a select few genre but over the last 5 years I've seen people switching it up a bit. Of course, I think there are still favs but just that people aren't afraid to venture out into uncharted waters for a good book. :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have my favorites, but I hop, hop, hop around. Every once in a while I even check out genres which I don't normally read, and I've actually had some fun doing this.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I'll admit it: I mostly stick to my favorite genres: SF, Fantasy, and nonfiction science, but that's not to say I don't occasionally dabble in others when the mood or recommendation hits me (anything that will make me laugh is always appealing). As far as fiction goes, though, I'd guesstimate that at least 90% of my reading is SF&F.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I'm in the fantasy genre three quarters of the time, but I do dabble in sci fi, thrillers, horror and alternative history. I also read a bit of social science and history.  :D

What will get me out of fantasy is something that really jags my interest, a book that is unique and original.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I mostly read Mystery/Thrillers but occasionally hop to   Non-fiction,   Dystopia,  other fiction..  depending on recommendations here or from my friends.   But my favorite authors are still Mystery/Thriller writers.    I have so many I don't tire of them.

One thing I want to add - Mystery/Thrillers encompasses a lot of variety - I'm probably most interested in Action novels - like Brad Thor, Baldacci, Vince Flynn..  along with detectives/legal thrillers.    I'm not as interested in the Agatha Christie style mysteries.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I read across the spectrum. I guess my real preference is mystery and fantasy along the lines of "Her Fearful Symmetry," "The City and the City" and "The Club Dumas," but I like to jump around a lot without any regard to genre.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm a hopper.

When I asked this same question on a cozy reader's group, most of them stayed within the same genre or "close by" meaning they'd read non-cozy mysteries, but stayed mostly in the mystery genre.  I think about 30 percent never read anything but cozies and a fairly high percentage would never and had never read any kind of paranormal work other than a ghost story on rare occasions (and I don't mean talking ghosts; more traditional ghost stories.)  I think it can depend on what you are exposed to with books when you are young.  About the only thing I won't read are "tear jerkers" or lit.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I read many genres/sub-genres, but I often go on binges or sprees where I'll read just in one particular genre for a month or two. I rarely skip from genre to genre as I go from book to book.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I am a genre hopper for sure and it depends on my mood.  For instance I'm reading The Story teller by Jodi Picoult which is historical/social issues fiction to me but after that I'll go to a legal thriller set in the world of baseball to help get me in the mood for opening day next week. some Genre's I may prefer but I'm willing to try almost anything if the story is good.  Its perhaps the biggest change in my reading habits since getting my Kindle in 09

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I read mainly history (non-fiction) or historical romance.
That said, when I venture outside that narrow sphere I've enjoyed what I've read. Yesterday, I heard an interview with a rugby player who had a policy of reading one book for fun, then one book that he ought to. This idea has been growing on me ever since because I bet I'm missing out on some good stuff by sticking with what I know and love.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I was a teenager, I used to stick strictly to fantasy and science fiction, and I'd sigh at whatever classic books we had to read for lit class. However, my mother loves spy/mystery novels like John LeCarre and Agatha Christe, so I couldn't stay immune forever! Now I am a proud genre-hopper, and love everything from autobiographies to romance! Still definitely have that soft spot for fantasy, tho.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts