Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're discussing wit in general in another thread which has some excellent general observations. http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=70180

Here you are invited to list your fave witty writers.

Witty doesn't necessarily mean comic writers or creators of farce, though they too can be witty. Even a tragedy can be wittily written.

We want the name of the writer, the name of the series if there is a series, your favorite book by the writer if you have one, and a note about why he is witty if you think you know. You're not limited to one writer.

I'll start.

Richard Condon is probably the wittiest writer who ever wrote, but he is also an acquired taste. He would have found that paradox amusing, though he would probably have argued that it would be better described as a dichotomy. His best book is the least well received by the critics, An Infinity of Mirrors where the entire situation is darkly ironic. His most famous book is The Manchurian Candidate, already twice filmed. Probably his funniest book is Arigato! http://www.amazon.com/Arigato-Richard-Condon/dp/B0010XA6EQ/, in which he sends up both British and American pretensions.

Ross Thomas has a lighter wit. My favorite among his books is The Seersucker Whipsaw, but they're all bitingly funny, if lighter than Condon.

Reginald Hill's Dalziel & Pascoe series is very fine English crime writing, and funny as hell, and that's before you even come to the erudition and the wit. It's amazing and amusing just watching what Hill can stuff into a police procedural, which is the disguise his multilayer novels travel under. Not all Americans will be overly pleased with Hill's reflex left of center politics, but I just find those amusing as well.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Terry Pratchett, in particular his 3 dozen or so "Discworld Books" plus Good Omens (co-written with Neil Gaiman).

P.G. Wodehouse may be about as witty, but is less in my comfort zone than Pratchett.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
MichelleR said:
Christopher Moore.
YES! That's who I was going to say! He mixes so many things at once but does it so well... The Lust Monster, etc. is my fav. book of his :)

-jb 8)

·
Registered
72 Posts
My favorite is Leslie Charteris, who wrote about Simon Templar, aka "The Saint".  There's a two-volume "Best of the Saint" collection, with the best of his short stories; volume 2 is better and much less pulpy.

I think I'm gonna have to give Wodehouse a try...

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Paul Jones said:
DON'T PANIC!!!

I'm astonished that Douglas Adams hasn't made it on to the list :)
I definitely considered him. :)

But since I'm on a legitimate Christopher Moore kick, I went a different way.

G

·
I heartily second Terry Pratchett.  Reading his books made me a noticeably funnier person.

Also, Dan Wells might not be quite as witty as Pratchett in his writing, but he is fantastic in person.  If you've ever got some down time at a Con and see him on a panel or at a signing, drop by; he's awesome.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts