Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I am running out of ideas on what to read and I need help.  I love the Sookie Stackhouse series, Anita Blake series, and Betsy the Vampire Queen (yes I love vampire books).  If anybody has any suggestions I am open to ideas.  I have found some other series that seem like they might be interesting but I just don't know.  If you have read anything that you think I might like and you can tell me I would be very appreciative.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you haven't tried The Dresden Files, you might sample them. The latest book in the series is hitting the New York Times bestseller list at #1 tomorrow. The first book in the series is Storm Front.

I have immensely enjoyed Dog on It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery. Bought it yesterday and have almost finished it. Private detective story told mostly from the view point of the private detective's dog and partner.

And The Name of the Wind was absolutely enthralling. A very good first book.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Big 2nd on the Dresden books by Jim Butcher.

Also these series:

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Anything Terry Pratchett or Jasper Fforde.  Terry Pratchett even has a vampire book, but it's not one of his best.  But if you wanna try it out it's called Carpe Jugulum.

·
Registered
597 Posts
There have been a few threads in the past on the board about the paranormal, urban fantasy, and paranormal romance genres which is pretty much what those series fall into. You can try searching the threads for the authors you've already read and you'll find references in those threads to other authors. I got hooked on this genre last fall thanks to a friend of mine who was reading Sookie and recommended it to me. I haven't read the Anita Blakes, but I just started Betsy and I'm really enjoying it. It's nice to read a lighthearted vampire book for a change.

Anyway, I would recommend the Mercy Thompson series (Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)) by Patricia Briggs and the Kitty series (Kitty and The Midnight Hour) by Carrie Vaughn. These series are based around werewolves and are well-written with strong female leads that don't just sit around waiting for someone to rescue them. I'm also in the middle of the Rachel Caine Weather Warden series (Ill Wind (Weather Warden, Book 1)), but that series is non-stop action, so I haven't read it straight through - it's actually a bit exhausting to read so I take a break from it after each book. Another one that I just finished and liked is Succubus Blues (the Georgina Kincaid series) (Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, Book 1)) by Richelle Mead. There's lots more out there but these would get you started.

If you want to get away from this genre altogether, check out the postings in the Book Corner section of this forum. I've gotten so many great book recommendations there. Especially check out the thread "Books recommended by our members". There's a new thread every month (the first post is the link to the previous month's thread) and there are tons of great suggestions in there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You may want to consider the "In Death" series by JD Robb. It's about NYC police LT. Eve Dallas and her team around the year 2060. I've read the entire series and have loved every one of her books!
If you decide to do so, I'd envy you just for the enjoyment of discovering her works for the first time and the amazing journey you will go through.
Happy reading!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree with suggesting the Dresden books, they make for a great read. I'm also an Anita Blake fan; for trash literature, it's pretty readable, and addictive.  ;)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Good thread, good suggestions. I am going to move it to the Book Corner because that seems to be the more natural home for this topic.

Leslie
Global Mod

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are all great suggestions.  I will definently be looking into all of them.  Thank you for all of your help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't read the Anita Blakes, but I just started Betsy and I'm really enjoying it. It's nice to read a lighthearted vampire book for a change.
I would recommend trying out the Anita Blakes. I don't know about everyone else but I liked them. If the new one coming out this summer is offered at the Kindle store I will be getting it. I have requested it but have not seen it yet. If anybody would hit the "I want to see this book on the Kindle" link I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/detail/request-kindle-edition/ref=dtp_dp_su_0425227723?ie=UTF8&a=0425227723

1 - 11 of 11 Posts