Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  In the other thread regarding adaptation of your work for film and television, I did say that I would prefer they didn't touch it rather than change things.
That said, with a fascination for cinema, I always have a picture of a particular actor/actress in mind when I write - not necessarily a big name and it could be someone long since dead, but I find it permanently fixes the character's image in my mind. Does anyone else use film/tv stars of the past and present as reference points?

·
Registered
466 Posts
It connects with what in marketing is called personas. By assigning a person in your mind to the character, it is not just about how they look, but the way they speak, their attitude, their reaction to situations, their behaviour.
i consider it to be a shortcut to a character wiki. When writing about customer behaviour, I like to use personas from my friends and colleagues and name them - they are then the shortcut to observed behaviour.

This makes a very complex picture in your mind. They are then also developped. The simplest version is just a picture and a look, but I assume if you dig deeper, your chosen characters are not just there for their looks. By going on discovery about their character you liked something strongly about them, I assume.

·
Registered
578 Posts
This is all super interesting, and some really great info from Nicole.  I never thought about that before, but yeah, I guess if they are based on a real person then they will be fleshed out as a character.  It makes perfect sense and blows my mind all at the same time :D

Personally I almost always do characters based on people I know, or a character who has combined traits from people I know.  And I might fudge a few details, but the core is that person.  This only failed me once.  When I was trying to make my main characters with the traits of my good friend, I got to a point where it just didn't work.  In real life she is the most ridiculous person I've ever met, and when I wrote some of it out I was like, yeah, no one will believe this.  She's too much of a nut for fiction.  So I just added a lot of my personality, and it kind of balanced out.

Thinking about the actor/actress would be a really fun exercise.  Having another way to really visualize characters can only be a bonus, and it's kinda really clever.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I have an unfinished novel with which I've sometimes envisioned certain actors playing the part of the main character, although the main character is completely fictional. I think envisioning such things might help authors in writing descriptively, though. It can be like seeing the 'movie' play out in your head.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I wrote my historical six book series with the late Anthony Valentine in mind (in his youth, of course). I thought he was bloody gorgeous, a so English. For my very first novel, a reviewer said she could see Judi Dench in the part, which was rather flattering.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sometimes characters appear as certain actors in my head, yep. It varies. Examples: In my urban fantasy series, Jordan Amador is played by Zoe Saldana in my head. Terrell Molding is Morris Chestnut. Mulciber is Monica Bellucci. In my other series, Dr. Kamala Anjali is either Parminder Nagra or Golshifteh Farahani. Bruce Calloway is Anthony Mackie. Agent Shannon is Michael Shannon. Other characters, though, appear as I've described them, so they don't have a particular actor in mind, though I suppose I could find one if I thought about it hard enough. I think it varies since sometimes I need a little more literal visualization with certain characters whereas others are fine just being generated by my imagination alone.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to read all of your posts. I'm determined to write a character based on Warren Oates - I might have to create something especially to fit it in,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts