Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Australian, but my books are set in America and are written in American English.

In the novel I'm working on I mention Twilight and Mansfield Park, and an American beta reader has told me that titles of books, movies, plays and so on aren't italicised in American fiction.

Is this right?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Americans absolutely do italicize the titles of books. Movies and plays I'm not sure about-- I usually italicize movies and put television shows in quotes, but I'm not sure why I do that or if it's correct. Check a style manual, but something is definitely needed to set off titles from the surrounding text.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I think I will amend my earlier comment to agree with Nicholas and say that I think movies and TV shows should both be in italics, but that episode titles should be in quotes. But book titles are almost invariably italicized.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Todd Young said:
I'm Australian, but my books are set in America and are written in American English.

In the novel I'm working on I mention Twilight and Mansfield Park, and an American beta reader has told me that titles of books, movies, plays and so on aren't italicised in American fiction.

Is this right?
No, this is not right.

We definitely do italicize the titles of books in American fiction. If you want a written guide, get The Chicago Manual of Style.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts