Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of reading about keeping emergency supplies handy; stockpiling food supplies, propane for the grill and even ammunition.

We've been keeping an extra pantry of food & rotating it into our regular pantry. Kinda handy at the end of the month when money is a little tight or I don't feel like going to the grocery store.

Do you have anything set aside for a rainy day?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've tried to do this since the 1980s, when I was a hard core survivalist for a while. But it's expensive to keep a lot of surplus stuff around. Plus, many items go bad, and eventually have to be trashed. So your emergency stash steadily shrinks over time unless you can do replacement maintenance on it.

Keeping stuff like ammo in sealed Army surplus ammo boxes, themselves in a cool, dry place, might help it last longer. But still I wonder if I won't get a misfire or two on 30 or 40 year old ammo if I ever try it (so the old stuff I'm keeping mainly for emergencies or possible apocalypse barter now).

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
I keep more bottled water and canned food on hand than I need. Not so much for a hardcore "Jericho" end of the world situation as if a really bad storm, terrorism, or something else shuts off power, disrupts deliveries of food or keeps me from going out for a week or so.

I got rid of my guns years ago, so will have to fall back on my sharp wit and barbed tongue to defend myself from hordes of zombies or other threats. If I am unable to get along on just my charming personality.

Sent from my Sprint EVO using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I read a very realistic end of the world type book that scared the #$%@ out of me because it's so plausible.  So am I now in the process of keeping 2-3 months of food and water stockpiled, and considering what other things we'd need.  My husband makes fun of me, so I have informed him that day one of the apocalypse he will not be getting any beef jerky.

Seriously though, I hope it's never needed and that when I'm on my deathbed, the kids will tease me about it.  But there are just so many X events, I believe they're called, that could happen.

·
Registered
700 Posts
We've almost always got enough essential supplies to last a couple of weeks and, depending on the buying mood I've been in, sometimes up to a month.  Not specifically for emergencies, just because I like to stay stocked up.  I occasionally consider doing even better, but I never seem to get around to it.

No ammo, though.  No guns to use it in.  If things get that bad, I'd just as soon not be here anyway.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
I've always got a few cans of vienna sausages and clam chowder in the back of my cabinets but I'd have to be really starving to open any of them. I stock up on that sort of thing for the hubby and kiddies. In an end of the world scenario I'd probably just give up and die.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
We keep stocks of non-perishable food that we renew every so often. Our water comes from a large rainwater tank, and we can access that even when the power's out. For cooking, we could use the woodburner (endless amounts of firewood) or the gas barbecue.

Storms are probably the most likely reason we'd have to use the supplies. We're in one of the non-shaky parts of these shaky isles, though volcanic eruptions are theoretically possible.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
NapCat said:
I always keep an emergency cheesecake in the freezer......and a "spork"
Of course, in an emergency, power could be lost at any moment, and there will be no option but to eat all the cheesecake before it spoils. This would definitely be the right action in an actual mysterious power outage.

Napcat, before I visit you at home, please Lay in an extra spork. I'll call just before I arrive so you can stop by your fusebox at the right time. See you next Thursday! ;D

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
And thanks to our topic, I am seeing ads for MREs and survival kits in the ad block at the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
871 Posts
During hurricane season (June 1 - Nov 31) I keep extra canned food and water on hand, and during the months after hurricane season I consume it and then buy again the next spring. That way it doesn't get too old. In May I empty the freezer section of my refrigerator and barely use it until December. Also when there is a hurricane in the Gulf I keep my gas tank full and oil changed, and get extra cash from the ATM. That's about all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I stockpile extra canned food and noodles. But that's mostly saved for consumption when I don't feel like buying new groceries. I suppose the stockpile would help me survive an extra week or so when the apocalypse comes.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I've been hoarding things in the closet, but so far I haven't dug any bunkers or buried anything in the woods with secret runic markers.  I guess you could say I'm a closet hoarder... canned goods, medical supplies, coffee, dry goods, etc.  Hurricane season, tornadoes, floods, apocalypse, I'm ready.  Ha!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts