Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm told Blurb writing is an "art" as it's a marketing tool. Is that true, or just a slogan spread by blurb writers? :)

I've written my own blurb on my upcoming release. It sounds good to me, but what do I know?

Do you write your own blurbs or use someone else? 

·
Registered
577 Posts
You could look at the top ranked books in your genre and see if they have anything in common in the blurb.  Do they have taglines?  Do they stress similar points?  Do they want to create urgency or thoughtfulness?  I'm sure there are people out there with a more scientific approach to blurbs, but I'd say that a good first step is to look around and see what's doing out there.  But if you think it's good, trust yourself.  Just use successful books as a window into what does sell, not necessarily a blueprint for what to blurb.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It is 100% very true.  There used to be a few posters here back in the day that were blurb experts. I can remember The Blurb Doctor and someone else that had an excellent blurb writing tutorial/check list. Unfortunately, I can't remember who it was.

Try Googling something like blurb writing experts. There is most definitely a technique.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ImaWriter said:
It is 100% very true. There used to be a few posters here back in the day that were blurb experts. I can remember The Blurb Doctor and someone else that had an excellent blurb writing tutorial/check list. Unfortunately, I can't remember who it was.

Try Googling something like blurb writing experts. There is most definitely a technique.
I saw The Blurb Writer on KB Yellow Pages.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ImaWriter said:
I used to clip everything I found even remotely helpful to OneNote, but I can't find the one that made the biggest impact on me. Here are a few that I did clip:

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,241279.msg3360368.html#msg3360368 (probably one of the few good things that ever came out of a Books Butterfly thread. ::))

https://victoriamixon.com/2016/03/21/how-to-write-a-blurb/
The blurb I wrote does seem to contain all of those elements which is at least reassuring. Not sure how important keywords are...

·
Registered
575 Posts
I hate writing them. It's a different part of the brain than the one we use to write novels--more like that part of your brain that writes advertisements.

There are editors that can write them for you at a cost. But I always write my own.

·
Registered
230 Posts
NikOK said:
You could look at the top ranked books in your genre and see if they have anything in common in the blurb. Do they have taglines? Do they stress similar points? Do they want to create urgency or thoughtfulness? I'm sure there are people out there with a more scientific approach to blurbs, but I'd say that a good first step is to look around and see what's doing out there. But if you think it's good, trust yourself. Just use successful books as a window into what does sell, not necessarily a blueprint for what to blurb.
before i wrote my blurb this year, i read lots of blurbs in the thriller category because i decided to no longer aspire to publish fantasy anymore, studying blurbs was not helpful until after i wrote my own first, and then compared it to the blurbs on amazon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts