Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
Joined
·
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the book page for The Snowman has a video player option. You click the green play button and an "Amazon Video Player" pops up. I wanted to do the same for my video book trailer, but can't find the option to do that from author central (uploading the video there posts it on my "author page", but not on the book page).

Here's what I'm writing about...



I emailed KDP support and they said it can't be done, but she didn't acknowledge how it's being done on The Snowman. I'm thinking that perhaps it's a feature only avalalble to big name authors or publishing houses? So I thought I would check here. If anyone knows how to do this, I'd love to hear from you. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
You can embed a video in your product description, if you know how. :)

The example you're showing is most likely a perk a publisher gets. Stupid. Just give it to all of us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,749 Posts
If you've never changed your product description in Author Central, then go grab your embed code from YouTube, then paste that directly into the product description section through your KDP Dashboard (not through Author Central).

It worked for both my books! (The pink and blue ones in my siggy.)
 

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
Joined
·
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jimkukral said:
You can embed a video in your product description, if you know how. :)

The example you're showing is most likely a perk a publisher gets. Stupid. Just give it to all of us.
Yea, I've used the HTML to ASCII convertor for the description. But I think you're correct about the video player from my screenshot. Special perk not available for everyone.
 

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
Joined
·
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
George Applegate said:
How?

Failing that, is there an example of a book that has done that?
You can get your book description looking spiffy with HTML then use this tool to convert it to ASCII:

http://dynamicguru.com/tools/html.php

It will generate the ASCII code, paste that into your book description section in your KDP dashboard and it will work. For the video, copy/paste the embed code from YouTube for example:

Code:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/videotoembedurl" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
Alan Petersen said:
You can get your book description looking spiffy with HTML then use this tool to convert it to ASCII:

http://dynamicguru.com/tools/html.php

It will generate the ASCII code, paste that into your book description section in your KDP dashboard and it will work. For the video, copy/paste the embed code from YouTube for example:

Code:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/videotoembedurl" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Neat tool. The problem is still that probably 99% of authors can't create html, and especially make it look good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,706 Posts

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
Joined
·
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lummox JR said:
As a programmer the abuse of terminology bugs me. HTML is effectively already ASCII. What we're talking about here is conversion of plain text to HTML entities, so that special characters like angle brackets are visible if the result is used in an HTML document. That dynamicguru site at least should know better. (It's still a handy tool though, in that it converts accented characters into the correct entities instead of relying on character codes.)
You're in a writers sub-forum, not a programmers. We no speak techie. I use those tools, it works, I don't really care about the correct methodology or terminology, as long as it works for my basic needs. ;D

jimkukral said:
Neat tool. The problem is still that probably 99% of authors can't create html, and especially make it look good.
True that. I'm comfortable with basic HTML editing, I know a lot of authors are not. It's a good knowledge to have.

Good spot for the basics...

http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

I just use a free HTML editor:

http://www.kompozer.net/
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top