Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently working on an analysis of a virtual community. Since this is the only one I am really involved in, I wanted to do an analysis of KB. I hope this is ok with everyone, especially Harvey and the mods. I have been learning so much from everyone here and enjoy the camaraderie. This is for a class on issues in the virtual community. We even hold class in Second Life. I am currently working on my MLIS and will graduate in August. And by the way, I am very positive on the topic of virtual communities.  ;D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Well,  I have never been part of anyones study before, but it seems OK to me if the Mods and Harvey go for it. (Now I have had some people, my wife included, who said I need analysis. What do you suppose they mean by that? :D )

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
intinst said:
Well, I have never been part of anyones study before, but it seems OK to me if the Mods and Harvey go for it. (Now I have had some people, my wife included, who said I need analysis. What do you suppose they mean by that? :D )
Sorry, my field is information studies, not psychology :D

Gertie; There is nothing you need to do, I just wanted to let you know I am observing, as well as participating. Thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you plan on sharing your final product?  I think it would be very interesting to read.

I used to follow another virtual community, but left it because it got too flame'y and disrespectful.

I love KB!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I will be at a conference and miss my real life graduation, sure, let's have a virtual one, and all of you are invited. I promise to keep any speeches short.  ;D

As for the paper, I will talk to Harvey about posting it - it will also depend on what kind of grade I get.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
This will be an interesting study.  ;D Good luck with your paper and I can't wait until your virtual graduation. Request Amazon gift cards as presents. ;)

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I would imagine that in order to study or reference the board in general you would need Harvey's permission.
In order to quote or reference individuals I believe that you need to have each person's permissions.  However one would need to review the agreement "we" made with KB when we joined.  I for one say go for it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
geoffthomas said:
I would imagine that in order to study or reference the board in general you would need Harvey's permission.
In order to quote or reference individuals I believe that you need to have each person's permissions. However one would need to review the agreement "we" made with KB when we joined. I for one say go for it.
These are good points, however, consent is not required in this case. I am not doing research for publication or conducting surveys. Did I mention I am certified to conduct human subject research? Anyway, my paper will not be falling within the requirements for such. However, if Harvey objects, I will not do it.

Thanks for your agreement. I do appreciate it and your remarks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think its a good idea, but I don't think the KBs are necessarily indicative of the rest of the virtual communities out there.  KB is necessarily made up of readers, who are typically not of the same mindset as say those on vehicle or other forums.  I am a newbie here, but have been around the forum block.  It does seem to me that this forum is much more quiet and calm than others - even on controversial sites.  I belong to a vehicle forum that is great, but because it has a fair number of younger folk, it sometimes gets heated.  Another forum I am on is focused towards a "finding tupperware in the woods" group which is a bit older than the average forum group and they whine and complain a lot about petty things.  If you want to have a well rounded paper, I would look into other forums as well as a polite one like this.

KB is like a Tea Party.  Vehicle forums are like bars.  Other forums can be like the old folk home. =)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I don't mind.  If you don't use KB you could always use connectionsacademy.com.  Its a virtual school for grades K-12.  I have four students enrolled that I teach.  Its a school where the kids are taught virtually through the computer.  Check it out, very cool.  Instead of homeschool, its called virtual school.  If you have any questions feel free to email me.  :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
tlshaw said:
We even hold class in Second Life. I am currently working on my MLIS and will graduate in August.
They have classes in Second Life in Library school ??? Really?

PolarBZ said:
Another forum I am on is focused towards a "finding tupperware in the woods" group which is a bit older than the average forum group and they whine and complain a lot about petty things.
Is this code for something ("finding tupperware in the woods" )? I don't get it - why would you look for Tupperware in the woods? ???

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
perhaps a drug test?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PolarBZ said:
I think its a good idea, but I don't think the KBs are necessarily indicative of the rest of the virtual communities out there. KB is necessarily made up of readers, who are typically not of the same mindset as say those on vehicle or other forums. I am a newbie here, but have been around the forum block. It does seem to me that this forum is much more quiet and calm than others - even on controversial sites. I belong to a vehicle forum that is great, but because it has a fair number of younger folk, it sometimes gets heated. Another forum I am on is focused towards a "finding tupperware in the woods" group which is a bit older than the average forum group and they whine and complain a lot about petty things. If you want to have a well rounded paper, I would look into other forums as well as a polite one like this.

KB is like a Tea Party. Vehicle forums are like bars. Other forums can be like the old folk home. =)
Well, my paper is on a virtual community, not really a study of virtual communities in general. I purposely chose KB because of its characteristics.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PJS said:
They have classes in Second Life in Library school ??? Really?
I have had regular classes and online classes during the program. This class in on virtual communities and is an online class, so it made sense to meet in SL. There are classes on SL in other programs though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
tlshaw said:
I have had regular classes and online classes during the program. This class in on virtual communities and is an online class, so it made sense to meet in SL. There are classes on SL in other programs though.
Wow, school has sure changed since I was young. Used to be I would debate with myself whether to get up for class. Now you only need to roll out of bed and switch on the laptop. That would have been nice for those 8am classes.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
I think it sounds interesting tlshaw. . . .I'd suggest you PM Harvey to be sure he's o.k. with it.  And, as someone else noted, if you're going to actually quote anyone, you should probably ask permission.  Be sure the names are changed to protect the innocent!  ;D  It's nice of you to have asked. . .I don't guess you'd really have needed to so I, for one, appreciate the courtesy.

Ann

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ann, Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have pm'ed Harvey to clear it with him. I don't plan to quote anyone, so I should be ok on that score. I am trying to be very careful that this is done properly.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts