Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only thing I miss with having my Kindle is being able to use my Borders and Barnes and Noble discounts.  My mom is even trying to figure out what to do with her unused Borders gift cards.  We won't be buying any hard copy books.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh, I still give plenty of money to Borders.  ::) None of the eight thousand magazines I am hopelessly addicted to are Kindle-ized yet.

Nemo

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Teach142 said:
The only thing I miss with having my Kindle is being able to use my Borders and Barnes and Noble discounts. My mom is even trying to figure out what to do with her unused Borders gift cards. We won't be buying any hard copy books.
Christmas gifts. Or donate them to non-profits, schools, nursing homes or rehabs.

I don't miss shopping for books at all. I've done most of my shopping on Amazon anyway because I like reading the reviews before I purchase. I can also find out of print books at low prices. Now it's even better, because I can get even better deals on Kindle books, no shipping and no waiting.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I browse in-store to find new Kindle books sometimes, but of course not as often as when I was purchasing d.t.b.s.  It is hard to find non-bestsellers on Amazon

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have only gone twice since I got mine 9 months ago. That was to trade in some of my dtb and find some of the older ones the authors/publishers haven't put on Kindle yet. Or the one or two of a series that are not on Kindle yet.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Who has time to shop in the bookstores?? Between my normal everyday things I have to do, the KindleBoards, reading, and constantly going to Amazon.com... my days of shopping for dtb's is over (at least for myself). I will still buy books for my grandkids, my mom and a few friends.

·
Registered
377 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I don't miss shopping for books at all. I've done most of my shopping on Amazon anyway because I like reading the reviews before I purchase. I can also find out of print books at low prices. Now it's even better, because I can get even better deals on Kindle books, no shipping and no waiting.
I was looking at an out of print book on Amazon this morning, but $2475.00 is not my idea of a low price.

·
Registered
268 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I did all my book searching on Amazon before I even step foot in a bookstore. So when I get my Kindle, I'm not expecting much of a change. (Except maybe in my wallet! :) )

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
There are big Borders and Barnes & Noble near me.  (Pretty sure our Borders in Oak Brook, IL is the biggest in the country.)  I'm still shopping at Borders for what I call "picture books".  Sort of coffee table -- sort of.  Books on subjects that require pictures, in any case.  I was and still am addicted to Borders.

·
Registered
788 Posts
My roommate is particularly happy that I have a Kindle now, because we haven't been back to a D.T.Bookstore since I bought it. Before that, we were spending large chunks of time with me going over books over and over again, deciding whether or not to buy them. She called this period of time "book zone" where I was completely engrossed, completely dead to the world.

My roommate hates book zone.

So now I can shop to my hearts content in front of my computer screen, no more dreaded book zone, no more trips to the library for their awesome 6 books for a dollar deal, no more re-organizing my bookshelf to try and fit MORE on, or asking roomie to move more stuff into her room to give me space for more books!

The only thing I miss is the prices. I'd love to get 6 used Stephen King books for my Kindle for a dollar, but it just doesn't work that way. The space I'm saving is worth more than the money I'm spending on Kindle books, and there are of course all the freebies on manybooks/feedbooks.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Mikuto said:
My roommate is particularly happy that I have a Kindle now, because we haven't been back to a D.T.Bookstore since I bought it. Before that, we were spending large chunks of time with me going over books over and over again, deciding whether or not to buy them. She called this period of time "book zone" where I was completely engrossed, completely dead to the world.

My roommate hates book zone.

So now I can shop to my hearts content in front of my computer screen, no more dreaded book zone, no more trips to the library for their awesome 6 books for a dollar deal, no more re-organizing my bookshelf to try and fit MORE on, or asking roomie to move more stuff into her room to give me space for more books!

The only thing I miss is the prices. I'd love to get 6 used Stephen King books for my Kindle for a dollar, but it just doesn't work that way. The space I'm saving is worth more than the money I'm spending on Kindle books, and there are of course all the freebies on manybooks/feedbooks.
This sounds awfully familar...I know sounds like my roommate and me. I, too, used to frequent the library sales while I lived in the dorm. Also hated the journey I had to take across town in the bus in order get to Borders and B&N (which are within 200 yards of each other).

As for the borders gift cards you guys left over...try using them to buy people christmas gifts. I love the stationary section of Borders for myself and for gift buying and have a whole section on my bookshelf just for journals and cute notebooks.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
While at Costco yesterday, I was drawn to the book section. I held the hardcopies and lovingly felt them in remembrance of the time we used to spend together, ha. I looked at the price of the new Stephen King novel...$15.99? I laughed and said I can get that for probably 9.99 on my Kindle if I wanted it! Then I thought of the weight of it, the cumbersomness, the room it would take up. There is just something desirable about holding a brand new book in your hands, but the thought of having to hold it and read it? No way, I want it on my Kindle.

I'm with Mikuto, not having to make room on the bookshelf, not having to carry heavy books, all the freebie books I will have the opportunity to read in the years to come are all a plus.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
We have a local bookstore, "Village Books", that I am very fond of. And we have a massive used bookstore that is a fascinating place to browse.

I'm not much of a Luddite (at all!), but I am sorry that my children's children will probably never find themselves in a roomful of books. Libraries and bookstores will surely become as rare as LPs and CDs, as the digital alternatives improve.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Harvey said:
We have a local bookstore, "Village Books", that I am very fond of. And we have a massive used bookstore that is a fascinating place to browse.

I'm not much of a Luddite (at all!), but I am sorry that my children's children will probably never find themselves in a roomful of books. Libraries and bookstores will surely become as rare as LPs and CDs, as the digital alternatives improve.
Now I am getting all misty eyed thinking about my grandkids... :'(

·
Registered
268 Posts
I agree, even with the Kindle, there's nothing like the magic of a book store. I love the hours I spent sitting in one of those giant, plush chairs at the local B&N, holding a book, soaking up the environment....

I don't suppose the people at B&N will be too happy with me if I show up with a Kindle and sit in one of those chairs....well, what they don't know won't hurt them!  :D

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Here is a battle weary soldier in Iraq trying to read his DTBook...I think a Kindle might have kept him awake? Pray for him, he is still there.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Has anybody experienced 'Powell's' in Portland, Oregon? I love that place - I've only been there once but we made a special detour on a vacation last year, just to see it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Harvey said:
Has anybody experienced 'Powell's' in Portland, Oregon? I love that place - I've only been there once but we made a special detour on a vacation last year, just to see it.
Nope...but you have me intrigued though. What is it, and what's so special about it?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts