Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what your preference is with real books, ebooks & audiobooks?

If you could rank them, what would be your preference?

Personally my preference is:

1 - Audiobooks
2 - Real Books
3 - Ebooks

How about you?

·
Registered
Sea of Two Suns
214 Posts
Depends on mood, I guess. Nothing like sitting by the fire with a real book on a cold winter night. Then again, can't beat the convenience of ebooks. To each their own!

1.) Real books
2.) Ebooks
3.) Audio books

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
Ebooks - for almost everything. (No physical storage space required.)

Paperbacks - for absolute favorite books or for nonfiction I want to study and highlight. (Inconvenient for storage and moving.)

Hardbacks - only if ebooks or paperbacks are unavailable. (Look nice on a shelf but too heavy to hold comfortably in my hands, inconvenient to move, and expensive.)

Audio - only if the narrator is a favorite actor or the author is a personal friend. (I really dislike listening versus seeing and don't seem to absorb information as well if it's not tied to something visual.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ebooks - for almost everything. (No physical storage space required.)

Paperbacks - for absolute favorite books or for nonfiction I want to study and highlight. (Inconvenient for storage and moving.)

Hardbacks - only if ebooks or paperbacks are unavailable. (Look nice on a shelf but too heavy to hold comfortably in my hands, inconvenient to move, and expensive.)

Audio - only if the narrator is a favorite actor or the author is a personal friend. (I really dislike listening versus seeing and don't seem to absorb information as well if it's not tied to something visual.)
Voice is everything with an audiobook. A bad narration can ruin a good book lol

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Paperbacks, followed by eBooks. When it comes to new books, I've bought more eBooks in the past several years. When it comes to used books, I go to used bookstores. I don't buy too many new paperbacks and hardbacks, as they're either priced beyond my range or they don't interest me.

I don't do audiobooks. Never have listened to one. Never care to. I'm a relatively fast reader and listening to an audiobook would take too long.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What's a "real" book? As others have said, ALL books are real. Just because a book has a cover and paper in between it doesn't mean it's any more real than an ebook. A book is the content, not the outside package. If you mean print, I haven't read a print book in probably 10 years at least. I only read ebooks and they are my favorite. Print books take up too much space and I'm glad I no longer have to deal with them. ;)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
^^^^^ Print books still have their pluses. Cheap when you buy them used. They don't require a battery to operate. Some print books still aren't available in eBook form. I still find print books easier to navigate if it's a reference type book and I want to flip to another part of the book quickly.

But as you said, it's all content. Everything is 'content' these days. It's the future... and it's been around for a while already. And for indie authors, eBooks definitely were and are a Godsend.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I do all my "pleasure reading" as e-books -- ever since my eyes got old & the "real books" seemed to be printed in micro-font. I was thrilled when the iPad first came out -- instant large-print version of anything, a built-in-light, large enough screen to see easily....no more squinting & holding a book up to my nose to read!

I've also been very happy with reading on Kindles since they came out with built-in-light.
The first e-book I remember buying was only out in e-form, I read it on an early iPod Touch.

I much prefer reading the newspaper on an iPad -- even if I usually read the "print replica" version because it makes it so much easier (& no dirty-hands from the ink!). And the web-page type online-version also includes comments which can be fun to read too.

BTW some years ago I compared my 1960 calculus textbook to my 1990 calculus textbook & the newer one really was printed in a larger font! Not that I would want to use an e-version of it (need to mark up, make margin notes, etc).

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm a computer programmer, and while I should be drawn to eBooks, I just like the feel of paper. But it does have its downside. I read a lot of old computer books, and for some reason, the binding or the glue affects my breathing, so I make sure to read them in well-ventilated areas.

But I still publish my own books in all formats.

·
Vendor
I'm copyediting a paranormal romance
9 Posts
1) ebooks - just for the convenience and ease of carrying multiple books around
2) hard copy books - sometimes you just need to turn the pages by hand (though I recently poked at the page of one of my paperbacks and wondered why the page didn't turn...)
3) audio books - mostly if I'm driving somewhere long distance. I'd rather read at my own pace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1. Audio
2. eBook
3.Hard copy

I like the romance of having a book in my hand now and then, but nothing beats being able to read a chapter of something while I'm in line someplace. Or listening to a book while I'm stuck in traffic. Allows me to enjoy a lot more than I would have otherwise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts