Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I buy DRM-free books when I can find them. However, it is not easy to tell which ones are DRM-free. If you look under Products Details and then under Simultaneous Device Usage, if it says Unlimited then it is a DRM-free book.

So what are the advantages of buying a DRM-free book? DRM is a restriction so the Publisher can limit the things you can do with the book. In other words, you don't really own the book, but are just renting it. For example, the DRM can tell you that you can't have the Kindle read to you. It also could tell you that the book can't be lent to someone else.

A DRM-free book can be converted to epub and read on the Nook or other reader. The Kindle is a great little device, but something may come along that is even better. Books costs a lot of money so having books that can't be converted to another format is not the best thing. You could end up with a large library of books that could only be read on the Kindle.

One of the advantages of being an Indie author is that the author can decide if he wants to have his books DRM-free or have DRM on them. If the author goes though a publisher it will have DRM on it since it benefits the publisher.

As a Indie author, I make sure all of my books are DRM-free and I also put DRM-free on the book cover and the description.

So do you prefer to buy DRM-free books?

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I own a Sony, not a Kindle, and I'm really anti-DRM. I'll buy ebooks with DRM if I have to, but generally those I end up buying as paperbacks/hardcovers instead of as ebooks.

For small to medium press, I always try to buy directly from the publishers and not Amazon (where I have to convert and/or strip according) or the Sony store. Authors make more money that way, anyway. And, oftentimes I start to find small publishers that I really like and start buying a lot of their stuff (since I know that I've enjoyed i.e. all of the SF or all of their historicals).

I always, always check to see if a self-published book is on Smashwords before I'll buy from anywhere else.

However, if I have to have DRM, then I'll buy from the Sony store, since I can buy in epub format. Then, if I'm stuck with someone who only publishes on Amazon, I'll decide if I want it that bad or not at that stage.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I've been anti-DRM for a very long time. I consider it a serious intrusion into personal privacy. I have to REALLY want a book to buy one with DRM. I'll buy the GRR Martin novels with it but that's about it. Put DRM on a novel and it's on my do not buy list.

Edit: *rant warimg* As an author, I have to say that the idea that DRM prevents piracy is just laughable. Any pirate who can't strip DRM needs to go back to kindergarten. Besides I want you to loan out my books. How else do you think authors get new readers? Someone says, "Hey, try this out" and loans you a book. It is the most wrong-headed idea for authors I've ever seen. I understand the problem in a way. We can't depend on concerts the way bands do, but we're ALL hurt in the end by DRM. Customers, including me, not able to share books, authors not getting new readers in the way it has normally happened, and the free use of a product we've PAID for infringed upon.

*end of rant*

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
ilyria_moon said:
I have no time for DRM whatsoever.
Yup, because I'll just strip it out anyway if I can't read it on my device. Living Light's sake, I owe the freaking book. Let me read it wherever I want, including my cellphone, my ipod, my netbook, my computer, my partner's computer, my eReader....

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
DRM doesn't bother me all that much.  I don't go out of my way to avoid it.  I'm on a lot of forums with cozy readers.  Most have no idea, nor do they care about, DRM.  Would they if they tried switching devices?  Yes.  But as it stands, they buy either a Nook or a Kindle and then they buy their books from that seller.  They don't shop around much, if at all.  They are still buyers of used books too.

For the most part they aren't aware of DRM.

I think it's great that Amazon allows authors to choose one way or the other, but the buying public isn't able to tell readily if a book has DRM or not, so I don't think it makes a huge difference to the majority.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Krista D. Ball said:
Yup, because I'll just strip it out anyway if I can't read it on my device. Living Light's sake, I owe the freaking book. Let me read it wherever I want, including my cellphone, my ipod, my netbook, my computer, my partner's computer, my eReader....
Definitely. There was a phase of DRM CDs and it is so annoying that I can't access the extra content on different machines, or copy the CD I paid for to iTunes. Grrrr!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems like a lot of the Indie authors prefer not to have DRM on their books. I think it is wonderful that Amazon gives us a choice.

--- edited... no self-promotion outside the Book Bazaar forum. please read our Forum Decorum thread.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I debated whether or not to use DRM for my book, but after much research, I realized more people were against DRM than for it. To be honest, why stick extra software on the book, anyway? What's to stop someone from just pirating the book the old fashioned way by typing the entire book word for word on the computer and making it a PDF to distribute that way?

Nothing is ever fool-proof.

·
Registered
187 Posts
RM, I agree. Piraters (pirateers?) will always find a work-around. And since DRM annoys readers who buy books, I choose to stay on the buyers' good side :)

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
DRM doesn't work, and only serves to antagonize the legal, paying customers.

I refuse to DRM my books. And I refuse to buy books with DRM.

I'm reading e-books on my laptop right now, while I decide which e-reader to get (probably a Kindle, but I'm going to wait and see what comes out in September). If I get a non-Kindle, I don't want to have to purchase my books again. And I shouldn't have to. Nobody should have to.

What if Apple or Kobo or someone else bring out an amazing new e-reader that beats the Kindle hands-down? It could be something with colour e-ink that cleverly doubles as a phone and a tablet and a camera. If you want to buy that, you are going to have to buy all your books again.

Many will be tempted to just pirate them. So DRM actually encourages piracy, rather than preventing it. Plus, publishing houses are using DRM against the wishes of their authors. I don't agree with that either.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Sure, I'd prefer that all my e-books not be DRM'd, but it's not a big enough deal for me that I loose sleep over it or refuse to buy books that are DRM'd. I'm much more interested in reading good books than I am in limiting myself to only those that are not DRM'd. I can understand both sides of the DRM argument and I don't claim that I know for sure that either way (with DRM or without DRM) is the long-term best solution for all parties concerned (readers, authors, and publishers) -- I just want to read good books at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
dgaughran said:
DRM doesn't work, and only serves to antagonize the legal, paying customers.

I refuse to DRM my books. And I refuse to buy books with DRM.

I'm reading e-books on my laptop right now, while I decide which e-reader to get (probably a Kindle, but I'm going to wait and see what comes out in September). If I get a non-Kindle, I don't want to have to purchase my books again. And I shouldn't have to. Nobody should have to.

What if Apple or Kobo or someone else bring out an amazing new e-reader that beats the Kindle hands-down? It could be something with colour e-ink that cleverly doubles as a phone and a tablet and a camera. If you want to buy that, you are going to have to buy all your books again.

Many will be tempted to just pirate them. So DRM actually encourages piracy, rather than preventing it. Plus, publishing houses are using DRM against the wishes of their authors. I don't agree with that either.
I would argue that the Kobo and the Sony are already better ereaders because they allow so many more formats ;)

The fact is that I can't say "never for drm" regarding my purchases. Many of my purchases are from bigger publishers and, thus, it would be impossible for me to continue reading the books that I enjoy in the comfort of my ereader.

I do like that I can buy from Kobo and just drag n drop those books right on to my Sony without a care in the world. I'm getting set to go on vacation and I'm getting my ipod, my phone, and my ereader all organized. I was so pleased to see that my DRMed ebooks from kobo moved between my devices with complete ease. That helped a lot (making me more likely to continue only purchasing from Kobo as I've been doing).

If I buy from Amazon, I'm forced into Amazon's format and, thus, have to stripe or pirate the epub versions. Too much trouble for me. In fact, I'd argue that the lack of formats is becoming more of a PITA for me than DRM.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts