Kindle Forum banner

Do you read a book more than once?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an emphatic YES and if there were more hrs in the day....and not so many new books to read....I'd read lots of books again. And not just favorites...there are many good books worth reading again.

My mother is one that, once she reads a book, she'll never touch it again. I dont get it at all. I enjoy some so much, I dont understand why you cant enjoy them a 2nd or 3rd time around. (Even a mystery)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know people that throw away books when they're done with them. I personally will reread books - sometimes more than once!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Jeff Rivera said:
I know people that throw away books when they're done with them. I personally will reread books - sometimes more than once!
I've never thrown away a book. But most of my paper books I bought over the years have been given to family members or donated to the library or Goodwill before moves. Not having to deal with physical copies of books I'll only read once was a big appeal of ebooks for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've voted YES because there are simply lots of old favorites that I've discovered from way back that as soon as I start reading, gets me sucked in again.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Emphatically, yes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Absolutely. In fact, I'm almost getting to the point where I'm ready to just keep reading my favorite books over and over rather than picking up new stuff. I said almost. :p

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
While I picked the "old friends" option, if it were available, I'd be tempted to choose an option along the lines of "whenever I get frustrated trying to find new books worth reading." ;)

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
NogDog said:
While I picked the "old friends" option, if it were available, I'd be tempted to choose an option along the lines of "whenever I get frustrated trying to find new books worth reading." ;)
*giggle*

and as nogdog knows, i'm re-reading something right now...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Rarely do I read a book more than once. I have to enjoy the book quite a lot to give it a second read.

And I'd never throw a book away, even if I hated it and didn't read it. Geez, there are just too many places that will buy old books or accept books as a donation.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Expanding on the POLL 'do you read books more than once.' I've certainly read books more than once - some three or four times.

For example...

The Hobbit: four or five times
Salem's Lot: three or four
Phantoms: three
The Seventh Scroll: twice

Stephen King once commented he felt married to a book he was reading. I suppose rereading's a form of another fling :-\

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've read several books more than once, including Bad Girls Good Women by Rosie Thomas - fabulous book. I think I've read it four times over the years - is that sad or what?

·
Registered
802 Posts
As a kid I reread lot of stuff, as an adult not so much. Not sure if it is a factor of time, additional hobbies/real life, or greater access to more books. I have read the core Tolkein books 2-3 times each, "A Game of Thrones" at least twice, and, when I first got my kindle, pulp stuff like Lovecraft, Howard, Moorcock, and Burroughs a couple of times. I tried to reread some 80's fantasy like Dragonlance, Eddings, and McKiernan with mixed success. That era was sooooo derivative, and the edgy stuff like Donaldson is semi-forgotten (or not kindlized yet).

But in general I don't have a "comfort book" that I return to again and again. I'm a pretty voracious reader and always on the prowl for new stuff, so if something merits a reread there is usually an external reason like an upcoming movie/TV adaptation or something.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Lord of the Rings I've read 4 or 5 times.  The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin I've read twice each.

Fight Club I've read 2 or 3 times.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas I've read 3 times I think.

Into the Wild I've read 2 or 3 times.

The first 18 or so Drizzt Do'Urden series book by R.A. Salvatore I've read twice many years apart.

I think that's it.  As I said in the poll thread, I'm not big on re-reading and generally prefer to experience things for the first time rather than to re-experience something.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts
The Host by Stephenie Meyer
Monsoon by Wilbur Smith
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

And I plan to reread the Harry Potter series either before or after I go see the 7th movie. (Probably after, given that it's coming out so soon.)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi,

Good question. There has been only 1 book that I read more than one time: If Tomorrow Comes by Sidney Sheldon.

~KC

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Books for which I'm into double-digit re-readings:

- Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. (I've only read it once in the last decade, but there was a time I read it almost annually.)

- Zelazny's "Amber" series

Books that have not yet reached double-digit re-reads, but probably will:

- Most of Pratchett's "Discworld" series, especially the "City Watch" story arc and the "Lancre Witches" story arc

- Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

There are many others I have re-read, but not to the extent of those. (I tend to fall back on books I know are great when I have trouble finding anything new worth reading, or sometimes because I know they will give me the emotional lift I need.)

1 - 20 of 88 Posts