Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read a new book this evening on a two hour flight from Oregon to Arizona.  With a dead tree book it seemed that this trip was about 1/2 a book going down and the other half going back on the return flight.  It seems I am able to consume a book quite a bit faster with the Kindle.  Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I don't read an individual book faster, but I AM able to read 2 or 3 books at the same time as opposed to 1. So I'm still taking a week or 2 per book but doing 3 books in that same time frame- if that makes sense? ???

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I definitely read faster and more.  Sometimes I find paper books awkward and can lose my place easily or find myself uncomfortable after a while and have to stop.  I lose myself in books far more easily with my Kindle.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I believe that one of the things that might impact reading speed is the ability to change font size to something really comfortable. I know that it took me a TON of time to read the DTV of The Historian just becaused the font used was so blessedly small.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I do read faster with my Kindle.  I think this is due to not having to deal with the logistics of positioning the book in my hand and turning pages.  Also, my hands and wrists get less tired with the Kindle, so I can read for longer periods of time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think I am reading faster for the same reasons.  I also noticed with the larger fonts I can "see" a whole page at a time and read it...something they try to teach you to do when speed reading. :)

I am loving my K2!
Amy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Basketmaker Amy said:
I think I am reading faster for the same reasons. I also noticed with the larger fonts I can "see" a whole page at a time and read it...something they try to teach you to do when speed reading. :)

I am loving my K2!
Amy
Hi Amy, welcome! Glad to have you here. Thanks for jumping into the discussion!

L

·
Registered
621 Posts
duck833 said:
Just read a new book this evening on a two hour flight from Oregon to Arizona. With a dead tree book it seemed that this trip was about 1/2 a book going down and the other half going back on the return flight. It seems I am able to consume a book quite a bit faster with the Kindle. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
{nodding} Yes, I have noticed I am reading fast. Of course, I have ALWAYS read fast but unfortunately, retain very little of what I read.

Of course, the good thing about this is that in a year or two, I can reread with as much pleasure as I got from the first reading!

patrisha

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I can read faster on the Kindle when I am in a quiet corner by myself!  Last week I was at a conference and worked on the same book all week because people kept wanting to look at the Kindle and I got distracted :)
I didn't mind, but I thought it was kinda funny.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I know I read faster with the Kindle. I have always read fast but with the Kindle there is less of the page flipping, constant re-adjusting, etc. that always happened with me for the DTBs. In addition it seems to take less time for my Kindle to flip pages than for me to :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Interesting, I thought it was just me thinking I read faster with the kindle.  I've never been a speed reader but I have been able to get through quite a few more books than normal since I've got the kindle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, I definitely read faster on my Kindle.  I've been wondering about that, lately.  I'm glad to discover that it's not just me.

I think there are at least two components to this:

1)  Novelty - This is a new way of reading, and it's more interesting and captivating to me.

2) Convenience - It's with me wherever I am.  It's easier to hold.  It contains whatever reading matter I want when I want it.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I've always been a fast reader.  I don't think I'm getting through books any faster, though, because I'm spending too much time on KindleBoards!

Betsy

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yes, faster. For me it is partly because I don't have to find my place and get it comfortable in my hand like a paper book. I just turn it on and it's right where I left off. I was doing about 12 books a month, but I am trying to read series that I have half of in DTB's and I have only read three in two weeks. I am ready to just buy them on my Kindle and get rid of the books!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I've actually been reading slower.

This is partially because I just don't have as much time anymore. Our daughter will be born in early June, and we are constantly on the go with doctor appointments, childbirth classes, and redecorating (to turn our office into a nursery).

Even so, I seem to read slower on the Kindle. I think, however, that this is because I am inadvertently choosing longer books to read.

I used to read a mixture of longer (300 pages or more) and shorter (less than 300 pages) books every month. Now, however, when I am reading on the Kindle, I tend to accidentally choose books that are all 350 pages or more. LOL

When I pick a shorter book (like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland), I do read it much quicker than normal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts