Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I love to read but find myself often with little time to read all the books I want. So, I'm wondering how to narrow down my reading list. Is it a good idea to look at the NY Times lists to see what's popular among readers? Is it better to look at the Kindle top 100? Both? Any other suggestions?

Alba

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Best seller lists driiven by the general public don't interest me.  Recommendations from people known to me are sometimes useful. I'll look at Amazon reviews with care, and new work by favorite authors zooms to the top of my list.

·
Registered
20,440 Posts
even when i was reading NYT on a regular basis I didn't look at their best seller list.  all that list says is that people buy the book.  doesn't tell me if i'm gonna like the book.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I do look at the books on the list.  Of course I don't like everything on it, but there have been some great books I would have missed if I hadn't checked it out.  I guess I should qualify that by saying that I don't read newspapers or anything that might alert me to good books people are reading....except Kindleboards, of course.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
So I have never actually looked at the NY times best seller list. Ever. I just googled and found it. I guess I assumed you had to subscribe or something. I have seen the line on books before of course.

So I looked and I don't read what others read apparently.  :D

But that is ok.  :p

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
I never look at best seller lists. I just check out the books Amazon recommends for customers who've bought or viewed things similar to my last purchases. They're usually very close to my tastes and I've had better results from those than word of mouth from my friends. No offence to my friends, who are all great people, but even if they read the same genres as me, our preferences are usually extremely different. For one thing, they all love books with strong romantic tones, whereas I'll read books with no romance at all. I'll also read a lot of nonfiction historical stuff they'd find dry as dust.

The only books I've read that (as far as I know) have been NYT bestsellers are the Hunger Games books and the Wheel of Time series. And I only know that because they have the info stamped on the covers.  :p

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
NYT List? No, not for suggestions. Everything on it is ultra-well-known already.

Kindle Top 100 lists? Yup. Frequently.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.