Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reading one of my series now and I am really enjoying it. A lot of the books I get from the library are boring so I started reading some of own books.

Do you like to read your own books?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If I have written it long enough ago that I've forgotten most of it, yes. And then I laugh at myself and roll my eyes when I catch myself thinking, wow! This is pretty good!  :-[

I write in my fave genre to read, so there is that too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Funny you ask that--actually I do. While I don't typically read an entire book of mine --there are times when I open one and find myself entertained for several chapters even as I read the book I wrote! :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Once complete and submitted for publication, I read every word in the proof and the e-book, then move on to the next project.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I usually reread my series every four books, to make sure I'm keeping characters consistent. If I switch between series, I reread or at least skim/read the scenes with the newer characters everytime I switch into the series... Which is part of why I am no longer alternating series.

I sometimes reread (or skim) old books to remininse or remind myself what readers like about them/want from me in the future. Or to just give myself a pat on the back, cause no one else is going to do it. They might say they loved the book, but they won't say "wow, Crystal you really aced the dialogue in this one."

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, Crystal, can't pat you on the back in Oregon all the way from Florida - arms too short.  But, I can say you ace KBoards every time I read your posts :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I can't do it for fun.  A little while back I read through the first book of a series just to see if there was anything I needed to wrap up in the last book, and it was a good choice all in all.  Found a few things that I was like, oh yeah, I might just want to bring that back up.  But as far as sitting down and enjoying it, honestly, it feels too much like going backwards.  Which, there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not for me.  I'm a, what's the next thing, person.

Also, I am slightly paranoid about having my books out when company comes over.  Usually I keep a few copies around to give away, but if people are visiting, I hide them under a pile of stuff.  I just never want to be the guy who is like, oh yeah, that's my book.  Maybe I just have a phobia of my work.  Hmm.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I read my own books for enjoyment and I like it.

That's because I took the best advice ever:

Write the books you want to read.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I can't enjoy reading them until I've forgotten exactly what happens in them. Depending on how many rewrites and rounds of edits I did, it can take me years to forget the details.

So I reread my favorites every 5 or 10 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes. Over and over... but this is obviously before and after self publishing. At this point I'm sick of reading them, it seems the only way, however, to ensure they are the best they can be. It'd be nice to come back to them in a few years though and see how they read then.

Side note: Some days I'll read certain parts and be quite pleased. Other days, I'll just shake my head...

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
boxer44 said:
Well, Crystal, can't pat you on the back in Oregon all the way from Florida - arms too short. But, I can say you ace KBoards every time I read your posts :)

After thinking on it, I realized I like to reread before ending a series. That's usually been around book four or five. I need a chance to say goodbye to all the characters for my own closure.

I axed a series early this year and I'm struggling with the lack of closure. Of course, I've technically left book four as a maybe, so that doesn't help. (I think my feelings on it may change when quarantine ends and I can travel/visit home again).

·
Registered
576 Posts
So far I'll read a snippet or two but I won't go much further. I think after reading the book like 50x before release kills my personal interest. Maybe after five years or so, or if I return for a series, will I take a look again.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
If I'm doing a series, I'll re-read enough to keep some consistency with the characters and other factors in the story line.

Other than that, I haven't read too much of my own books.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts