Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my book on Kindle and Nook, but have not dived into Smashwords yet. Have any of you had success w. Smashwords? Do you sell more copies on Amazon or Smashwords?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Lisa Lim said:
I have my book on Kindle and Nook, but have not dived into Smashwords yet. Have any of you had success w. Smashwords? Do you sell more copies on Kindle or Smashwords?
I sell more on Kindle, but Smashwords is useful for coupons and giveaways.

Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've been on Smashwords since mid-April. The numbers there are not as good as the Amazon numbers, but I'm happy with the results. To date, not quite a month and a half in, I've sold 33 on Smashwords. I've been told that's good, and the books haven't been posted to B&N or any of the other premium outlets yet, so I'm anxious to see what happens when they're on more sites.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Lisa Lim said:
I have my book on Kindle and Nook, but have not dived into Smashwords yet. Have any of you had success w. Smashwords? Do you sell more copies on Kindle or Smashwords?
Yes, I'm a smasher and I sell more through smashwords than I do Amazon. It took over a year for that to become a reality though. If I were you I'd place them wherever there's a market, it can't hurt can it.

Carl

G

·
Yes I use smashwords, and I tend to move more books through there than on Kindle. If you are doing anything complicated with formatting it can be more difficult to set up but for novels and short stories it's fairly easy.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
I sell more ebooks through Smashwords than I do with Amazon, but that's only because I distribute to B&N through Smashwords.

The direct sales through Smashwords are ok, but not great.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use Smashwords. It's a bit early yet to talk about trends, but right now, Smashwords and Kindle are doing about equally for me.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Erica Sloane said:
Your Smashwords numbers must be incredible, seeing as your Amazon rankings are so high. Congrats!
Thanks Erica, you've got to remember though that it isn't just smashwords, it's B&N, Kobo, Sony, Apple and Diesel. Soon, another one (Scrollmotion) will be in the mix.

Carl

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Each month on smashwords and its partners, I sell about the same as one day on Amazon. But I'm still happy to do it - every bit of exposure helps.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I'm on SmashWords for the heck of it but my sales there are dismal. For every one copy I sell on Smashwords I sell several hundred on Amazon. I even sell more on B&N than on SmashWords. That's how bad I do there.  ;)

G

·
One thing about Smashwords I have noticed is the pricing methods. I started using the "Reader Sets Price" model. In both cases, sales and interest were dismal. When I put the books to a fixed price sales jumped, even when the book actually went up in price.

The problem some readers mentioned was that they don't like trying to work out how much a book is worth before they buy it. If it's a bad book and they paid a lot they felt ripped off, if it's a good book and they got it free they felt guilty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts