Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a time not too long ago when all novels were written out with a pen.  Then the novel was typed up and sent to a publisher. 

Some of our most famous authors wrote their books that way.

We learned to write when we were in grade school using a pen so that is what comes natural to us.

Writing using a computer is something fairly new and some people may still find it hard to write that way.

I wrote all my short stories using a pen when I first start out years ago before computers.  Then when computers came along I switched since it was easier to write using a computer.  Now I rarely write anything using a pen. I use a pen mainly for signing my name and rarely even write checks since I use debit and credit cards.

So do you still use a pen for writing stories and even novels?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The book that is currently my newest one was written long hand, in pen, in hard-backed ledgers in 2001, because I didn't have a computer at home. All subsequent works have been word processed. However, my current WIP is being written in ink in a Super Man journal.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a notebook that I write in, but it's only snippets, ideas, lines of dialogue, just little things that pop into my head. I could do that on my phone or my laptop, but I like having the notebook. Just a little quirk, I guess.

My favorite pen is the Bic Velocity. :)

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I try not to ever use a pen, or pencil, to write. I type just about everything.

This is simply because my handwriting borders on illegible, even to my own eyes.  :D

I remember in gradeschool having notes sent home to my parents telling them to make me "practice my handwriting." I did practice. I wanted nothing more to write pretty like the other girls in my class. Their writing always looked so feminine with curly letters and hearts and such.

As an adult, I've even had employers comment on my poor handwriting. It's something I can't help. Though print is better than cursive, it's all very bad. One problem seems to be that I think faster than I write, so I tend to 'skip' letters, then backtrack to write over them and fix it, which makes it an even worse mess.  :D

With typing, the Backspace key is my best friend. Even when my brain gets ahead of my fingers, and I have to make corrections, I still type over 60 wpm with almost no errors.  :) ;)

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
BTW, most of my big Chinese series was written by pen, but that's because I started it 37 years ago. However, I am a Calligrapher and find putting one of my poems up in Chancellery script complete with rubrified caps and watercolor illumination a great joy. Nibs rock.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I wrote parts of my first book out longhand.  But when I got a decent word processing program, I started typing everything, and quickly got in the habit.  Like Red, I have appallingly bad handwriting, and besides, I get cramps in my hand due to the way I hold the pen.  At any rate, I type somewhere upward of 80 words a minute, which means typing is much, much faster.  I've written milllions of words at the keyboard. So writing with a pen is no longer more "natural" for me. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I write notes, outlines and to-do lists with pen and ink.

If I have a big technical manuscript to edit I might print it out the final version and take a blue pencil to it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Erica Sloane said:
I have a notebook that I write in, but it's only snippets, ideas, lines of dialogue, just little things that pop into my head. I could do that on my phone or my laptop, but I like having the notebook. Just a little quirk, I guess.

My favorite pen is the Bic Velocity. :)
Have you come across those rip off moleskin notebooks in the bookstores they claim Hemmingway, Steinbeck and a few others supposedly used? About twelve pounds for a small one. I buy half a dozen school notebooks for one pound fifty. Same job, more pages.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Before I got my netbook, I used to write with a pen when I was away from my computer.  Then I would take it home and try to decipher my chicken-scratch as I translated it into Word.

However, typing on my netbook on the bus has proven to be a challenge, and I end up hunting and pecking with one hand while I hold the computer with the other.  So, except for the transferral time, it was probably faster using the pen.  Maybe I need a one-hand typing tutor program.

·
Registered
509 Posts
RedAdept said:
I try not to ever use a pen, or pencil, to write. I type just about everything.

This is simply because my handwriting borders on illegible, even to my own eyes. :D

I remember in gradeschool having notes sent home to my parents telling them to make me "practice my handwriting." I did practice. I wanted nothing more to write pretty like the other girls in my class. Their writing always looked so feminine with curly letters and hearts and such.

As an adult, I've even had employers comment on my poor handwriting. It's something I can't help. Though print is better than cursive, it's all very bad. One problem seems to be that I think faster than I write, so I tend to 'skip' letters, then backtrack to write over them and fix it, which makes it an even worse mess. :D

With typing, the Backspace key is my best friend. Even when my brain gets ahead of my fingers, and I have to make corrections, I still type over 60 wpm with almost no errors. :) ;)
Pretty much all of this, except for the notes home from teachers. I've had employers comment on my handwriting, though, and sometimes I type faster than my thought process and get all confused. Grocery lists are an adventure. I have to make sure I know what everything says before I leave the house or I come home without things I need.

Plus, I jammed my thumb on my writing hand in high school and have arthritis in it. Makes writing by hand extremely painful for long periods of time.

G

·
I usually write my notes, ideas and often full scenes down in pen. If I'm out and about it's more convenient than trying to remember it until I can get to a computer. Then I type them up as soon as possible, and do all the edits and revisions on the PC. I'd hate to lose a story because I dropped my notepad in a puddle. For paper it's usually a cheap reporter's notebook - with the number of pads I go through fancy notebooks would be expensive, and I'd feel guilty about scribbling bits out.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I actually write out my reviews for RedAdeptReviews on paper, then type them up.. For me it's a focus thing.. Far fewer distractions on a pad of paper than on my laptop. And I like sitting at the coffeeshop with my fountain pen writing away, getting odd looks, and the occasional comment about how pretty my writing is, or "wow, I didn't know anyone still used those pens."

G

·
I actually still work rough drafts in pen and notebook.  It forces me to keep going forward instead of constantly revising what I already wrote.  It is too easy to obsess over stuff working from the computer.  You keep going back and constantly fixing stuff you already did instead of moving forward and getting the darn draft done.  Once I have the rought draft done, I put it aside for a few weeks, and only THEN do I start putting it in the computer and working on revisions. 

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I write every first draft in long hand, partly out of habit and partly because I can write my scrawl faster than I can type. When the thoughts and ideas are flowing I want to get them down as fast as possible before I forget them. It's an ugly scrawl, probably only legible to me, but it gets the job done.

Also, as BTackitt pointed out, there are fewer distractions. When I'm rewriting on the computer I often find myself taking a break to go...well, here, or check email, sales stats (!) or the news headlines, etc. When you're staring at a pad of paper it's just the two of you. Pure focus.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.