Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the KDP pricing tool for my books and for one book Amazon suggested that I raise the price from $3.99 to $6.99. For all the other books it suggests that I drop the price from $3.99 to $2.99.

Do any of you take the pricing tool's advice or should I take it with a grain of salt and move on?

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I take it into consideration but don't necessarily use their figure. One of my novels was at $3.99; it suggested raising to $6.99. I raised it to $4.99. So... *shrug*

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
No. It's not terribly useful to hear that, overall, between me and famous writers and worse writers and brand new writers, the best median price point is X. I suppose that would be useful if I was at the median in many other ways, but I'm not. If I start selling a lot under one pen name or the other, prices are going up. (never over 4.99 for me.) If that kills my sales, I'd take 'em back down. I'll respond to the market's response to me.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I'll check it out from time to time, but to date, it has told me that my novellas should be priced at $4.99 and my full-length novel should be priced at $2.99.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
It told me to price my novel length story at 2.99.  I priced at .99 for a launch special.  When it started selling, the tool suggested 6.99.  But again I went with my plan of 4.99. 

·
Registered
514 Posts
Perry Constantine said:
I'll check it out from time to time, but to date, it has told me that my novellas should be priced at $4.99 and my full-length novel should be priced at $2.99.
Ha, ha! What a bunch of Jive Turkeys!

I've ignored it until now, but maybe I'll give it a try just for fun. It's only my livelihood, after all.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I saw it when I released my latest publication, but it just seemed wrongly priced, so I went with my gut instead.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
EthanRussellErway said:
Ha, ha! What a bunch of Jive Turkeys!

I've ignored it until now, but maybe I'll give it a try just for fun. It's only my livelihood, after all.
It takes about five seconds and they only provide you with a suggestion, so you're under no obligation to take their advice. If nothing else, it's worth a laugh for how bizarre their logic seems to be.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had one book priced at 0.99. Amazon recommended 3.99, so I raised it to 2.99 and sales doubled, so it worked in that case.
They did something similar for another book also priced at 0.99. They recommended 2.99, so I'm trying that. Sales were poor before and are poor now, not enough data to know if the second one was a good idea. I'll hold it there for another week or so and rethink it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts