Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very enthused about Kindle so I tell people about it all the time.  For example, I was at the Doctor's Office this morning.  I told the Doctor about my Kindle which I was reading while waiting for him.

Then I told the receptionist about Kindle and asked her if she had one.  She said no, so I showed her some of the features.

I have also talked to the librarians at both libraries about Kindle.  One of the librarians actually has a Kindle and bought one of my novels. One of the other librarians wasn't impressed and said she didn't want one.  She said it would ruin the libraries.

Kindle is such a wonderful reading device that I always tell people about it.  Maybe that is why some people have started avoiding me?

Do you tell people about Kindle?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I  enthusiastically discuss it with people who show an interest, but I don't walk around trying to actively convert 'em.  :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
More often than not, when I'm reading in public I wind up spending more time demonstrating my Kindle than actually reading. So I guess I would say yes I do tell people about Kindle, but over time, quite often it's begrudgingly so. ;D

Not to say I'm reluctant to discuss it, it's just that when I'm reading in a coffee shop or a waiting room, most of my time is spent answering questions like "What's that you're reading from? Is that one of those new fangled Kindle things? Whatcha reading? Is it good?"

·
Registered
904 Posts
There's the occasion that I'm asked by someone what I'm using (most assume it's an iPad or something), I'll tell them.  To my surprise, most seem really into it and ask a crap-ton of questions about what it does, how it works, how much it costs, etc... 

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Sure. I try not to be evangelistic about it, but everyone needs to know the soul-saving power of Kindle. ;)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That's actually a complaint that I used to hear about the Kindle. You couldn't read one in public without being pelted by a bunch of questions!

I never set out to convert people to the Kindle -- but I really love it, so it does come up in conversation. I don't carry mine around with me so I can demonstrated it to the unconverted -- and in fact, I'd say about half the time when I'm talking about the Kindle, I don't actually have one with me.

But what can I say? I love my Kindle. If you're going to talk to me about how I've been spending my weekends and my spare time, sooner or later I'm going to have to say: "I'm reading a lot on my Kindle. And I'm really enjoying it!" :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Only when asked, or if I'm in a conversation about reading/e-readers/the demise of bookstores/etc.  Truth be told I get annoyed if I'm busy reading something and strangers come up and start firing questions at me (or worse - statements about how e-books are causing the death of the public library, etc)...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm in the process of converting all of my Soldiers here in Afghanistan.  I show/tell them how easy it is to have a ton of books right at your fingertips and it doesn't add to the weight of all of the junk that we have to carry home next spring.  Plus, we/they don't have to rely on whatever free paperbacks are still on the shelves in our "lending libraries."  You can get whatever books you want in just seconds.  I've already gotten a couple to buy one.  Working on the rest.  :)

I take my Kindle to the dining facility every morning and read while I eat my breakfast.  Have had many people stop and ask about them.

When I am back in the states my kindle goes EVERYWHERE with me and I, too, frequently find myself answering questions and giving demonstrations more than I am reading.

·
Registered
951 Posts
If they start talking about it or ask a question, then sure.  However I'm not going to go up to some person and just start talking about it.  People who do that (with any topic or interest) creep me out and I'm more likely to avoid them and whatever they are talking about.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
If they show interest, of course!  My doctor kept asking me questions and finally ended up borrowing my K2 for a year.  I think he hoped to get a Kindle but was given an ipad for Christmas so he's using that.  He admits it isn't as good for reading but naturally he is enjoying it immensely.  One of his staff also was checking mine out (and they have seen me through K1, K2, DX and K3) and she had the kindle app on her phone but she was given a Nook..

But I've had questions and always tell them about Kindleboards..  and Kindles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tell everye about Kindle and how wonderful it is. It's funny because I'll take it to public places to read and people always ask what it is. And I get so excited to show them.

--- edited... no self-promotion outside the Book Bazaar forum. please read our Forum Decorum thread.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yes, if they inquire. Then  I go into full informercial mode  :D

·
Registered
874 Posts
history_lover said:
I find myself correcting a lot of misconceptions about ereaders/Kindle on the internet and people sometimes mistake this for me trying to convert them, which is not the case. I agree ereaders aren't for everyone but I just think people should have all their facts right before they make a decision/judgement on them.
Definitely, I like everyone don't say anything until asked but I find out there are a lot of misconceptions out there. I had a job interview recently and said I loved reading on my Kindle. Then interviewer asked me "Kindle or Nook?" I looked at him, smiled "Kindle"...I guess "Kindle" means any e-reader like iPod?

Well, then we proceeded to talk about the Kindle and why I chose it over a Nook.

Tris

1 - 20 of 27 Posts