Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When someone blogs about your book without any encouragement, do you thank them? Or send them chocolates? Or ignore it and just keep writing the next book?

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I got mentioned on someone quite well-known's blog, so I bought a book of hers. I thought it was only fair.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Um, if you don't know the blogger and they didn't put the link somewhere they'd expect you could see it (like on Twitter), then I'd find it creepy. I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm stalking them or that I'm looking for every mention of my book. 

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think developing relationships with bloggers is a good idea.
You want them to get excited about your upcoming books.

Now, the tone of your thank you matters. There is a potential creepy/stalkerish situation
, so be professional, let them know you've read their blog and appreciate the review/mention, ask if they'd like to get your newsletter. Just don't go overboard.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
MyraScott said:
I think developing relationships with bloggers is a good idea.
You want them to get excited about your upcoming books.

Now, the tone of your thank you matters. There is a potential creepy/stalkerish situation
, so be professional, let them know you've read their blog and appreciate the review/mention, ask if they'd like to get your newsletter. Just don't go overboard.
That's my approach except with the mention of a newsletter. I'm just about to start a newsletter. :)

G

·
As a blogger, who works with and communicates with lots of other bloggers, I can tell you how it works

1) We mention a lot of people's works.

2) A very small percentage ever say thank you. Even if you assume 10% found out, the number who say thank you is still a small percentage.

3) The authors who say thank you, always get special treatment if their other books are on deals or free, etc. By the very act of saying thank you they've distinguished themselves as either caring about the effort you put in to find and mention their book, or very very smart and realizing that only good things can come from appreciating someone's work when it helps you.

That's human nature. If one author says 'thank you' and the other author can't be bothered, then the blogger, reviewer, etc. will obviously treat the first author better.

It's a simple question. Do you think a blogger or anyone else mentioning your book is helping you?

If so, then thanking them is common courtesy.

Last thing I'll add, and not sure if the sample size is large enough, is that

Of the authors who in 2009, 2010, 2011 etc, made the effort to say thank you, and then reached out later to ask to mention other books, etc. a disconcertingly large percentage are one or more of

- bestsellers
- have publishing deals (sometimes with Amazon)
- doing very well

The most successful authors tend to find a way to thank everyone who helps them and get them on their team. you just need a few people looking out for you and it adds up.

·
Registered
377 Posts
ireaderreview said:
That's human nature. If one author says 'thank you' and the other author can't be bothered, then the blogger, reviewer, etc. will obviously treat the first author better.

It's a simple question. Do you think a blogger or anyone else mentioning your book is helping you?

If so, then thanking them is common courtesy.
This is what I had originally thought too. But I struggle with HOW to thank them... theres such a slippery slope with the, leave reviews to the readers, mentality. I don't want to get "labeled" as an author behaving badly. Goodreads has scared me!!

I always retweet and thank them if they tag me in their post so I can see and I'll usually grab a line from the review and post it out on my social media with a link to them. The ones that have interacted with me in this way, I've offered them arcs of future books. BUT the difficulty is when they review and don't tag me in some way, even when it's a glowing review, I don't know if I should acknowledge it-- although I really want too!

G

·
AYClaudy

It's difficult.

You wrote: I always retweet and thank them if they tag me in their post so I can see and I'll usually grab a line from the review and post it out on my social media with a link to them. The ones that have interacted with me in this way, I've offered them arcs of future books. BUT the difficulty is when they review and don't tag me in some way, even when it's a glowing review, I don't know if I should acknowledge it-- although I really want too!

Yes, in that case what you're doing is great.

If the blogger doesn't explicitly tag you, then
75% of the time they'll be happy you say thanks.
25% of the time they won't.

You have to make the decision yourself which part of bloggers you want to make happy.

Generally, bloggers who are starting off, or those who understand/think win-win, will be happy you said thanks.

The vast majority of bloggers don't make a lot of money. Their main motivation is writing about books etc. because they love it. So a thanks helps. It's positive reinforcement that connecting readers with authors is a good thing.

I do agree that a percentage (perhaps 25%, perhaps less) won't respond well.

GoodReads, however, is not a good proxy. As someone else pointed out, it seems to be focused more on the beauty of the dissection of a book/author.

Bloggers generally care more about telling their readers about cool stuff and such. They aren't really displaying their intelligence by tearing apart and dissecting a book, but by figuring out whether their audience would like it. Perhaps you can see the tone of their review and then make a call.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts