Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my children's book The Red Balloon up free on Smashwords recently.  When I was googling my books, I saw where Smashwords had a page with a sample of it. Then they told people they could download the entire book for free.  That is wonderful and I have no problem with that at all.

But when I looked at the sample, it is the entire book.  Can anyone tell me if they think this might be a problem in any way?  I'm not sure if having the entire book posted on the internet is a good or bad thing.  I'm giving it away for free anyway, but it just seemed weird to see it posted in its entirety.  Thanks for your advice.  :)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
JeanneM said:
But when I looked at the sample, it is the entire book.
That's how Smashwords does it. You set the sample size. If you put it up for free, the sample size is 100%. I have a short story up for free on Smashwords as well. It's a sample of my writing and I'm hoping that if readers like what they see, they'll be more willing to pay for my novels.

You can change the price of the book at any time and Smashwords will reduce the sample size accord to your input -- up to 50%.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much everyone.  I won't worry about it then.  I had just heard that it wasn't good to have your stories posted on the internet as someone might grab them and publish them. :)  But I guess if someone wanted to do that, they could find a way to copy it from the reading devices anyway. 

Thanks again.  :)  J.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts