Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never bothered in the past, but I saw a post on a blog from someone who had use a free service and gave it a try.

http://prlog.org/11579313

Do you think press releases of this nature are worth the effort?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I wrote a press release for this recent novel, but I didn't have the guts to distribute it. I did save it in PDF and attach it to the book site and post it on my blog/FB, though.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anne_holly said:
I wrote a press release for this recent novel, but I didn't have the guts to distribute it. I did save it in PDF and attach it to the book site and post it on my blog/FB, though.
That's how I always felt, but then I thought ... why not.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I wrote a press release and put together a media kit and send to several local media outlets, hoping I had a "local hook" because half the proceeds of my book go to fund a local marching band that has lost a bit of its funding this year.  NPR, PBS, a local newspaper with around 100k distribution, and a smaller local paper in my home town.  I'm putting together a more "global" press release and media packet, but I doubt it will get much attention.  Doesn't hurt a thing to distribute it, though.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Decon said:
That's how I always felt, but then I thought ... why not.
Maybe I will have the guts some day, not sure - it rather feels piddly next to "real news."

But, sadly, this recent release was my first full length, so my subsequent books will have even less of a hook, so the likelihood of me getting the gumption is pretty nill.

ETA: But, in theory, I totally agree with "why not" and I do wish I had the nerve. :)

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I sent a press release to my hometown, since it's a small town (8000 residents) an hour from the nearest city, and knew they would print it. They did, and I saw a big sales bump of print copies immediately (plus the library ordered 3 copies, and the Senior Center is doing it for the July selection for their Book Discussion Club...I'm going to Skype in for the meeting).

I did not send it to the newspapers in my current town. The Washington Post would laugh and certainly not print it, and I doubted the local Alexandria paper would either, since it's a self-published book. They don't generally even print articles about traditionally-published genre authors (and there are many) unless it's a major, major deal or book that has gotten significant national media attention.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I e-mailed press releases to the three major newspapers and several small news outlets in the area where my second novel, Storm Surge, is set. I think there were about 20 of them from Gulf Breeze, Florida westward to Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. I sent the email to the features editor or department, if contact info was available. I don't think any of them ran it. Sigh.

http://conniechastain.com/SSPressRelease.pdf

I have a media kit on my website, though I have had no use for it yet, ha!
http://conniechastain.com/mediakit.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts