Kindle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
NogDog said:
I've had my K2 for a year and a half now without a screen protector, and the screen is still in excellent condition. However, I've always had it in a "book style" cover that closes over the screen when not in use. So personally I'd only consider it if I used my Kindle without such a cover, and thus the screen was exposed when not in use.

I bought this screen protector mainly because I could cut it down to fit. My device doesn't have the luxury of being popular enough to have a screen protector made specifically for it. This cover was a little tricky to get on, but it's definitely worth the money I spent on it. I just had to buy a new one, but only because I dropped a pocket knife on the old one from about a foot above it. The old cover was trashed, but the device's screen was clear as when I bought it.
Aside from is excellent protective qualities, this cover is also completely transparent, unlike some others which bend the light from your device And reduce image quality.
it also doesn't require a special adhesive so it leaves no residue when removed.
Finally, it doesn't feel sticky or gel-like unlike other screen protectors. It has a relatively pleasant matte finish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also don't use a screen protector on mine. Unless it's a touch screen I don't really see the need for a protector on most electronics. Unless of course you're using the protector as a substitute for a real case and often just toss the naked kindle into a bag then by all means.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I don't use a screen protector either. I do use book-type covers. I don't routinely carry my Kindle outside the house - if I did I might rethink it.

I have a question for those of you who do use screen protectors: Do they always have some bubbles? Do the bubbles actually work themselves out in a few days? Last week I tried applying my first screen protector - to my itouch, and ended up taking it off because I couldn't get rid of the bubbles (only a few, but....) I tried to smooth out the bubbles but couldn't get rid of them to save my life.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have not used a screen protector on my Kindle but have used them on other of my electronics.  I have never been able to get the smooth placement that I would like.  I have a friend that can do that but I have not been able to.  There are always bubbles or spots or something.  I don't like them but have one on my camera screen as there is no other way to keep it protected.  I would choose to have a screen protector on most of my electronic devices if I could get smooth placement. 

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have not used a screen protector, but have been considering purchasing one.  I have screen protectors for everything else, cell phones etc. I see no harm in having one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've had my Kindle a year and a half. I don't have a screen protector, I keep mine in a cover, but have some how managed to scratch the screen! I do leave it open when I'm getting up, letting the dogs in, whatever. It's possible a cat scratched it, or I knocked it on the floor. I wish I had gotten a screen protector.... So it is possible to scratch a Kindle screen, even when you think you are being careful.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I could never get over the price of screen protectors, so I've never bought one since it's basically the same stuff I peel off of the face of a new clock radio and throw out. They're like some bogus racket.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ditto the rigid kindle cover without a screen protector.  I have a tablet style cover (opens vertically like a steno pad) that also works as an easel for it.  I take mine everywhere in my purse & no screen issues in the past year.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a screen protector on my Kindle when I first got it because it's habit to put something on screens--I have cats who just LOVE to hang out with me while I'm using things, like my iPhone and my Kindle. If nothing else, it would be easier, I figured, to get their little paw prints off the Kindle screen.

The protector came off when I got the mEdge cover-type case in the mail, though, because the Kindle's protected when I'm not reading. The cats weren't pawing the screen, so there wasn't much point in keeping the protector. Trouble the Wonder Cat's far more interested in the iPhone screen. She likes Angry Birds almost as much as I do. :)

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
All of my family in Arizona have screen protectors on all of our Kindles with the temporary exception of two Kindle Fires that are waiting for their screen protectors to arrive. This is in addition to the book-style cases for protection. Most of the Kindles have the ClearTouch™ Anti-Glare screen protector from Boxwave. The two Fires are waiting for screen protectors currently on backorder from Boxwave due to a Web special price of less than $3 each. (I just checked and the expected shipping date is 14 Feb.) The one Kindle with a different screen protector has the WriteRight one.

We use the screen protectors for two main reasons: abundant sand and dust in the environment and glare. My K2 has a Boxwave screen protector that has been on three previous K2s (replacements due to early sunfade problems and one cracked screen). Since this early screen protector is slightly narrower than actual screen, I am able to compare the glare with and without the screen protector. It appears to me that there is less glare with the screen protector.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My K2, K3 and KT have never had screen protectors. I have the first two in amazon covers and the KT lives in a Built neoprene sleeve when it's not being used, so I don't worry about it too much.

Our iPad is also "naked" but our smart phones have screen protectors as they're exposed to more things.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Nope. I've never seen the need for it. I have a case on my kindle that I always zip up when I'm not using it. When I read I'm not really in a position to drop my Kindle or spill something on it, so a screen protector just seemed unnecessary. Though, if something were to happen, I'd feel like quite the idiot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a screen protector on my first kindle keyboard but I had to get it replaced and I put another protector on the 2nd one then It was all bubbly and screwed up(husband put it on for me) and so I lived with it for a week and couldn't deal with it any longer so I took it off and I haven't put another one on yet. I do have a fire and need to get one for it.. but I seem to have problems getting them on so I think I might need to go to bb and see if they will put one on for me. they are good at it..... I might also have them put one on my kk as well....

I have one on my phone and it had a mind of its own... for months every time I used my phone the screen protector would twist and slide around. it now has major bubbles and it is crooked. I need to get a replacement for it... I have to have one on my phone because every time I don't the screen gets scratched....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nope, never used a screen protector for my Kindle 3. I've had it for 16 months now and the screen is still in perfect condition. Fingerprints wipe off easily in case I accidentally touch the screen. 

·
Registered
524 Posts
I use a glass protector for the LCD on my camera but it swingers against my shirt every day. My Kindle is in a nice case and riding in my pack. I can't see a need for a screen protector.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
No screen protectors for our Kindles (e-ink and Fires), but they have covers that are closed when we take them away from the house.

Our oldest Kindle (a 3G K-2) is pushing three years old and has no scratches at all.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I don't use a screen protector - I just use a case and keep it in that.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts