Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never saw Tick Marks on the first Kindles, but I see them now. So I am not sure if this is only for the newer Kindles or if it's only newer books that have them. But I like them. There is a bar at the bottom of the screen with little ticks, and you can use the five-position button to move between ticks in the book. Usually they are for the different chapters, but I hear that they can also go between sections. I love this feature. I use it a lot, and now I look for it on every book I read. Anyone else?

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
bjm said:
I never saw Tick Marks on the first Kindles, but I see them now. So I am not sure if this is only for the newer Kindles or if it's only newer books that have them. But I like them. There is a bar at the bottom of the screen with little ticks, and you can use the five-position button to move between ticks in the book. Usually they are for the different chapters, but I hear that they can also go between sections. I love this feature. I use it a lot, and now I look for it on every book I read. Anyone else?
The marks are there if the file creator decided to put them there. I do not know if they work on the KK but they certainly work on my US only (Sprint) K2. They were certainly used in the first newspaper I read on my K2 as well as in the Amazon Daily blog. I remember them in some of the books in 2009. I have been surprised when the first book of a series will have the marks but later books might not. I am glad when they are there but if they aren't, I tend to add notations of my own.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I like them. Don't always use them, but I enjoy having them there. I like them when they are used for chapter marking. Its helpful to know how much I've got left in the chapter I'm reading and how long the next one is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've never noticed these before. I'll be on the look out for them. What sorts of books have you seen them in? Being able to jump between chapters would be great for the reference books I read.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My Kindle2 puts them in whenever I add a bookmark. A lot of books don't have them so for books where I'm going to be jumping between chapters (reference book or maybe an anthology) I just got in the habit of adding a bookmark at the start of every chapter I read.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I like to be able to skip from chapter to chapter, especially in reference ebooks.  During the Kindle ebook creation process, the publisher creates an NCX file that enables this chapter-skipping/progress indicator feature.  The NCX also controls access to a book's Table of Contents (via the Menu button and then "Go to").  I really appreciate those features!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I add them manually in books that I will be doing a lot of skipping around in (programming/comp sci books, manuals, etc) if they don't already have them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are these the little dots/dashes that are at the bottom of the screen inside the progress bar on some books and if you click the left or right on the five way controller you can jump to them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I love them and it really irritates me when whoever makes them doesn't set them up the way I like  ;D

Typically, they are between chapters in books or articles in blogs. But the last couple of books I read had them between sections. There would be about 20-30 or so chapters in the book and 3 sections and it would only have the three tick marks! Ugh. Not that I need to skip around often, but when I do, it makes things much easier. I like the ideas if putting bookmarks in at each chapter, but I usually don't think of it until I need to use it and then...it's either there or it's not  :p

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have only seen it in novels. First noticed it in my novel. Then saw that some other new books had it. Seems like most of the old ones don't? I love the effect - it skips FAST between chapters. Good for quick browsing.

SelenaBlake said:
I've never noticed these before. I'll be on the look out for them. What sorts of books have you seen them in? Being able to jump between chapters would be great for the reference books I read.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
happyme said:
I am sorry I am new to kindle, Can you please tell me what are they meant for. Alot of this flew above my head :(
Tinderbox said it the best.

Open up a book in the Kindle. Look at the bottom of the screen. See the long bar. That shows you the whole book (its length). Shows your position in the book. You will see lots of little black ticks on it (if the book supports it). Those are the tick-marks. Now hit the 5-pos switch, click the "right" button on it and you will go "right" to the next tick-spot in the book. Click the "left" button and you will go "left" to the last tick spot. Best to just try it - once you do you will be hooked.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have heard how some are in sections as well as chapters. I think it depends on the book. Huckleberry Milton has more than 40 chapters, so it made sense that they would have tick marks for each chapter. So that's how it is!

bwbollom said:
I love them and it really irritates me when whoever makes them doesn't set them up the way I like ;D

Typically, they are between chapters in books or articles in blogs. But the last couple of books I read had them between sections. There would be about 20-30 or so chapters in the book and 3 sections and it would only have the three tick marks! Ugh. Not that I need to skip around often, but when I do, it makes things much easier. I like the ideas if putting bookmarks in at each chapter, but I usually don't think of it until I need to use it and then...it's either there or it's not :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
I noticed them on the book I'm reading. Now I just have to figure out how to use them effectively. Always something new to learn. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts