Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to send a couple of essay's I created to my Kindle but I'm a little confused. 

When it is mentioned that "...you can send attachments to "name"@free.kindle.com to be converted and e-mailed back to your computer at the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account." what is meant by "name"??

Is it my "Kindle E-mail Address?" 

Is it the prefix of the Kindle E-mail Address (which is to say everything to the left of the "@Kindle.com?")

Is it my actual name, first and last?

For the sake of clarity, let's say my name is Kelly Oz and my kindle's email address is [email protected]

That would make the address I send my documents to:  [email protected] (please fill in the blank for me!)

Please help, I'm pretty confused and it seems like I might be tremendously over-thinking this!  LoL

Thank you for any assistance you can give me friends!

Signed.....The OverThinker!  ???

·
Registered
509 Posts
At the Amazon webpage "Manage Your Kindle", in the "Your Kindle(s)" box, is listed the Kindle 'name' and the Kindle 'email address', when ends with @Kindle.com  That is the address to use!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Teninx said:
At the Amazon webpage "Manage Your Kindle", in the "Your Kindle(s)" box, is listed the Kindle 'name' and the Kindle 'email address', when ends with @Kindle.com That is the address to use!
Right. As Teninx says, that's the address to use. Make sure your Whispernet is on when you send the document so it can download to your Kidle. In my experience, documents don't go into a queue if the Whispernet is off, they just disappear.

Supposedly there is a 10 cent charge for using this service but I have not heard about anyone actually being charged.

If you use the @free.kindle.com option, the file comes back to your email and you have to transfer it with the USB cable. This is what you would need to do if you are in an area without Whispernet. But if you have Whispernet, just mailing it to the Kindle is easier.

L

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I read somewhere on Amazon that the .10 cent charge will not be billed until the charges reach $3.00.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Dori said:
I read somewhere on Amazon that the .10 cent charge will not be billed until the charges reach $3.00.
That's another one of those rumors. I know I have sent myself more than 30 documents and I haven't been charged. Lots of others have reported the same thing.

L

·
Registered
268 Posts
Really? No charge? I was going to use the free.kindle.com option for the sake of saving money, but if I can just email it to my Kindle for free that would be great! Can anybody else confirm this? (not that I'm doubting the great and powerful Leslie, lol)

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I’ve sent quite a few documents via the wireless option, and never gotten charged anything. I imagine the charge was to offset the cost of the wireless service (that wouldn’t be there if it was sent back to your computer), but for some reason it doesn’t get billed.

Mike

·
Registered
268 Posts
Awesome. Thanks everyone! That's so great!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woke up this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see all the replies!  Thanks for the assist, everyone!

One additional question:  on average, how long does it take to get the converted document sent back to you?

Thanks,
Kelly

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
kellyoz said:
Woke up this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see all the replies! Thanks for the assist, everyone!

One additional question: on average, how long does it take to get the converted document sent back to you?

Thanks,
Kelly
A minute or two. Make sure the whispernet is on (did I say that already? LOL).

L

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Leslie, I'm gonna try it now. 

I purchased your 'Amazing Kindle F.A.Q.' and am very thankful you took the time to share your findings! 

Sooooo.....just to be certain, using the example I initially posted, I'm sending the document as an attachment to:

[email protected]

right?  And then it will be sent to the e-mail address associated with my Amazon.com account...correct? 

Kelly

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
kellyoz said:
Thanks Leslie, I'm gonna try it now.

I purchased your 'Amazing Kindle F.A.Q.' and am very thankful you took the time to share your findings!
Thank you!

Sooooo.....just to be certain, using the example I initially posted, I'm sending the document as an attachment to:

[email protected]
If kellyoz is the name in your "manage your Kindle" account, yes.

right? And then it will be sent to the e-mail address associated with my Amazon.com account...correct?

Kelly
Actually, I believe it will be sent to the email address you mailed it from. If you have only one email address, then yes. But if you have more than one, it will go to the one where you sent it from.

Leslie

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Leslie...I decided to quit being a cheapskate and just send the document directly to my Kindle...I mean, seriously, what's a dime between me and my Kindle? ;)

~Kindle Kelly!

·
Registered
268 Posts
And apparently the 10 cents isn't even charged! It's a win win!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
kellyoz said:
Thanks Leslie...I decided to quit being a cheapskate and just send the document directly to my Kindle...I mean, seriously, what's a dime between me and my Kindle? ;)

~Kindle Kelly!
And I seriously doubt you'll get charged the dime!

L

B

·
0 Posts
Additionally, you can send multiple files in one e-mail. I tried it and it worked perfectly for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts