Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Spoilers! (haven't watched it yet) :o

Votes: 5 25.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really liked it -- looking forward to where they're going to go with this.  Should be a good season.  Especially liked the subtle allusions to Harry Potter, Mary Poppins and (not so subtly) Sherlock Holmes.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I loved it and I like Jenna-Louise Coleman - his new companion.  I can't wait for it to come back and to see what happens next.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I really enjoyed it, too.  I always felt like Amy and Rory were stealing the show away from the Doctor, and it seems like I was right.  Matt is finally getting his chance to actually be the Doctor and not just set dressing for the Amy and Rory Hour (or as I like to call it, Coupling: Amy & Rory Edition).  I'm liking Jenna-Louise Coleman a lot so far and I even liked the changes to the TARDIS.  Moffat has always seemed to want to take the show in a direction that had more in common with the older series.  I think that was his reasoning behind having two companions and coloring the Daleks like M&Ms and giving them bumper car bases.  The new TARDIS and even the new opening credits are definitely in line with the older shows as well, but both well done and not like he was trying too hard.  I guess time will tell what direction the writing takes with a new companion in the picture, but I'm really hopeful.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I can't recall the Harry Potter allusion, although I think I remember remarking in it while we watched. We loved it! Oswin is great and I can't wait to see what's going on with her!

·
Super Moderator
67,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hsuthard said:
I can't recall the Harry Potter allusion, although I think I remember remarking in it while we watched. We loved it! Oswin is great and I can't wait to see what's going on with her!
Near the beginning when he first met Clara and was inspecting the snowman he put on HP glasses.

I'd still like a fuller explanation of the reason behind the re-design of the interior of the Tardis.

"It's smaller on the outside!" "That's new."

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The TARDIS redesign actually has a pretty fair reasoning behind it and isn't just Moffat being all "change all the things!" like he has been since he took over.  Usually the TARDIS is only redesigned when the Doctor regenerates (as well as his sonic screwdriver), but they were moving the TARDIS set from Upper Boat to Cardiff so I guess they figured why not redesign it if they're going to have to rebuild it from the ground up anyway.  Moffat also apparently felt that the interior of the TARDIS was becoming too "whimsical" and that it's not supposed to be magic, it's a machine, so the new interior does look a lot more industrial.  It's apparently going to be "a scary place" throughout the season, so it sounds like we might finally be seeing more than just the console room.

As for the new intro, I guess that had to be done to a certain extent, especially in the US.  We had that inane title sequence that made the Doctor seem like Amy's imaginary friend and made the show seem all about her and her adventures with him.  So the new title sequence is welcome.  You'll also notice during the new opening you can see Matt Smith's head in the stars, this is the throwback to the old Doctor Who openings that I mentioned.  Most every one of them had the Doctor's head floating in space during the opening titles.  The music has also been changed slightly.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Aren't you a clever boy? :) I am looking forward to seeing what Clara can do for the Doctor. I am one of the fans who agree with Donna - that the Doctor should not travel alone. He is at his best with a Companion. But I would like to see him get a Companion from another planet again. Do the folks over at BBC not think that modern audiences can handle a character not from our own time period? I think another Leela would be fun. :)

I wasn't that thrilled with the Snowmen themselves, although the idea behind them has so much more potential. Loved the nods to the other characters. I like the Gallifrean designs in the TARDIS control room, but not too keen on the colors. DH seems to think the control panel was similar to Baker's, but I didn't see it. I was impressed that Vastra's tongue and inside her mouth were green. That is a detail that seems overlooked a lot these days.

Speaking of Vastra, I loved how she, Jenny and Strax protected the Doctor and respected his grieving period, but at the same time, tried to get him to come back.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
mom133d (aka Liz) said:
But I would like to see him get a Companion from another planet again.
I don't think we know enough about Oswin yet to say she isn't. She's really the first companion in the new series to have a mysterious past.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
My wife really loved Oswin and was totally won over when she said, "It's smaller on the outside!"

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Dan C. Rinnert said:
Amy kind of had a mysterious past with the cracks in her bedroom and being a young girl without any parents in the house.
I guess that's true. I kind of figured since the Doctor was with her when she was little that we kind of were part of that past. Oswin we really have no idea on what she even is at all.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Not until April, I imagine we'll get a more specific day when we get closer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts