Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the writers over on the tech boards suggests that putting a dark skin on the K2 will help with the contrast issues.  He has the Kindle 9000 on his, and it appears in the pictures to increase the perception of contrast.  I was thinking about the solid black skin, and I was wondering if anyone else had had the same experience.  I know...I'm no fun at all. :)  I have an Amazon case, and I'm looking at plain black, but it actually looks pretty sharp since there are white edges around the pieces.  I have a feeling the busier designs would bother my eyes.  If I'm on the wrong board, I apologize.  Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's a trick of perception; it doesn't actually make the screen any brighter, it just looks lighter by the contrast with the skin. It won't change the perception of the contrast between the screen and the text much, though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i've had two different dark colored skins on my k2, one was the kindle 9000 skin.  i did this for the same reasoning as the person you mentioned.  all things considered i felt it made it easier to read in some respects, however it also added a bigger problem of it's own due to bright glare shining off the glossy skin.  with the skin on i found myself constantly shifting the kindle so the glare wasn't shining directly in view.  so now i keep my kindle 2 topless.  bare in mind everyone has different tolerances/opinions to this, that and everything else so the best way to find if a skin will work for you is to give one a try.  maybe the glare issue won't bother you.

now if i can convince decal girl to come out with a non-glossy kindle top skin...
regards kz

·
Super Moderator
67,320 Posts
I have the Rosewood Burl from DecalGirl. . .it's fairly dark. . . certainly doesn't bother me one way or the other. . . mine is a K1. . . . .

Ann

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I don't think it should affect the reading too much.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great suggestions!  The glare thing might be an issue - I'm very sensitive to glare. The solid black looks like patent leather, so I can see where shine would be an issue.  Love the rosewood - is it as shiny as the black in person?  My new guitar has a rosewood back and sides.  It would be nice for my two favorite things to match.  Any other suggestions for dark, not too shiny skins?  Great suggestion about the dark, non-shiny skin.  Have you asked DecalGirl about it?  I gather they are very receptive to suggestions/requests.

KH

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I originally got the skin for my Kindle because I found the white bezel too stark and distracting. I have Orient from Decal Girl, and I hardly notice any glare from it, despite it being rather glossy.

I would think that some of the "brown" skins would be less prone to glare. Check out Quest... that's a board favorite, and fairly subtle so it won't be too busy to distract.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts