Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had a period where Amazon has not updated their sales statistics for a while? I feel like I might be in limbo, but I'm not quite sure.

Generally speaking, my novel sells 2 - 10 copies a day. Every once in a while, there's a day where none sell, but those are pretty infrequent.

According to Amazon, no copies have sold since overnight Sunday, when two sold. Here's the kicker: I gifted a copy to a blog reviewer yesterday, and even that sale hasn't shown up. Granted, those sales aren't counted until the giftee actually claims the book, so there's a possibility that she hasn't. She did, however, send me an email to let me know she received it after I bought it.

It's just strange to go so long without logging any sales at all, but I don't have any proof that there's a hangup on the Amazon side, so I thought I'd see if anyone else had experienced something similar.

Thanks in advance. :)

(please don't dash my hopes and tell me that I'm a has-been already!)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. The downside is that as I was having no sales, my ranking was in free fall -- it never got a bump. The upside is, overnight 3 sales showed up, so at least something is happening.

Maybe people just aren't buying it right now. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Something's going on.  I went from 500+ sales in two hours to 24 sales in the following two hours.  That's a factor of 20 going in the wrong direction!  I hope it's Gaga and the reports are slow.  I just don't know how to trust amazon - they've done so many weird things.  Oddly, my rankings have stayed the same.  Maybe that's a good sign? 

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
J. Carson Black said:
Something's going on. I went from 500+ sales in two hours to 24 sales in the following two hours. That's a factor of 20 going in the wrong direction! I hope it's Gaga and the reports are slow. I just don't know how to trust amazon - they've done so many weird things. Oddly, my rankings have stayed the same. Maybe that's a good sign?
Wow. For sure, reports are slow. There is no way this happens unless Amazon changes their algorithms, and I can confirm I'm seeing the same books, including yours, floating around the books I browse through.

Won't be checking my sales for another 1-2 hours - I'm almost afraid what I'll find. My ranking has improved today after getting worse gradually over the last week, but sounds like that may not mean much if updating is off.

·
Registered
638 Posts
edwardgtalbot said:
My ranking has improved today after getting worse gradually over the last week, but sounds like that may not mean much if updating is off.
This.

All my book rankings started to go the wrong way on Monday. They have come back a bit today, certainly better than yesterday, but something is funky, that's for sure. And no tags either, but that's happened to lots of indies.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It seems there's one thing after another.  May 10th a bunch of us lost all our "also boughts" for most of a day. I thought I'd be okay, and then the next day I was down to fewer than half the sales, and it took me ten days to claw myself back up.  Then Tuesday, apparently, Lady Gaga hit. Today, the tags are gone.

And then a drop like the one I just had?  I have no idea what's going on.  They never tell you anything, never warn you.  Maybe amazon just can't control it, but it's a tough way to think you can make a living if this keeps happening.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
"May 10th a bunch of us lost all our "also boughts" for most of a day. I thought I'd be okay, and then the next day I was down to fewer than half the sales, and it took me ten days to claw myself back up.  Then Tuesday, apparently, Lady Gaga hit. Today, the tags are gone."

Just wanted to let you know that I'm with you on this too . . . I wonder if our books are linked somehow (date published?) though yours sell way better than mine, especially since May 10th!  I'm glad you managed to claw your way back.  Since Monday, things have just gone in the wrong direction all the way around.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
If sales are not flowing into the system, it's reasonable for rankings to stay relatively unchanged. The only change would come from the decaying weight of past sales.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts