Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Kathy Reichs as an author and recently bought her new book "Viral" I never even thought to read the reviews because I have never read anything by her that I did not like.  The book was just short of 10.00 and it is a kids book!  I am obviously a very patient (read stunned) reader as I have been slogging through this book and am at the 40% mark and still no sign of Temperance Brennan the main character of all her books, instead the book is all about her 14 yr old Nancy Drew wannabe niece.  I now realize the book is not going to get any better as it is evidently written for 14 yr olds  :-[  So do I strike this one up to a learning experience and never buy a book without reading the reviews again or is there something that maybe Amazon will do (maybe partial refund) or am I just dreaming?

·
Super Moderator
67,442 Posts
If it's within 7 days of purchase Amazon will refund any Kindle Book no questions asked.

If it's more than 7 days, you're out of luck. *

*  Exception:  if the formatting is really bad or the book is just poorly done from an editing standpoint, Amazon may refund the money even after 7 days.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW, I left my number for Amazon to call me and before I had even put the phone back on the table it rang.  The customer service agent was super nice and refunded my money with no problem.  I am so impressed, I had no idea that they would offer a refund on a book of all things!  I love Amazon and everyday I learn something new that my Kindle can do, I absolutely love my kindle, how did I ever manage without it all these years!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, their customer service is pretty amazing. I too had a phone call from them after two notes to CS didn't fix a problem I was having. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I've never gotten better customer service from ANY company.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I requested a refund on a Kindle book a couple nights ago, and mine wasn't a mistake.  I read the reviews and even sampled the book, but once I got the whole thing, I was disappointed in the content (non-fiction).  It wasn't poorly formatted or bad information, just not enough of it to justify the price, IMHO.  I dashed off a quick note to CS and said exactly that ("This book is more like a long article, and $5 is too much for what I got.").  They responded within a couple hours, apologized(!), and granted the refund. 

Customers don't hesitate to buy when a company is so willing to play fair.

--Maria

·
Registered
75 Posts
A mistake is a mistake but I think it is unfair that they offer refunds like that. Don't get me wrong when you make a mistake or buy it by accident, that's one thing. But for people just saying I don't like this book they should not get a refund in my opinion. What's to stop people from just getting book after book, reading them, and then just returning them. I love Amazon, their customer service is awesome, and the fact that they changed the literary world the way they did is awesome. But if you buy a book, not buy accident, that doesn't have horrible formatting, you should keep the book. If you like it great if not leave a review. That's why they give you the option.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Joe Renzo said:
A mistake is a mistake but I think it is unfair that they offer refunds like that. Don't get me wrong when you make a mistake or buy it by accident, that's one thing. But for people just saying I don't like this book they should not get a refund in my opinion. What's to stop people from just getting book after book, reading them, and then just returning them. I love Amazon, their customer service is awesome, and the fact that they changed the literary world the way they did is awesome. But if you buy a book, not buy accident, that doesn't have horrible formatting, you should keep the book. If you like it great if not leave a review. That's why they give you the option.
Well, the problem with that is that you can take a DTB back to B&N for no good reason too.

Amazon won't let people "over-return" books. They do have a lifetime limit and for rampant returning, they have been known to shut down accounts. Returns should be used carefully, whether with books or anything else.

·
Super Moderator
67,442 Posts
Joe Renzo said:
I don't see how you can say Amazon's policy is unfair. Unfair to whom? It's clearly not unfair to the consumer -- in fact it's added value because I know that if I buy a book -- or someone playing with my Kindle buys a book -- I didn't really want, I can return it as long as I act quickly enough. The other ebook retailers don't do that: you buy it, it's yours, no refunds. It was a mistake? Too bad so sad -- we've got your money and we're not giving it back. Oh, and, no, you can't sell it on to someone else because it doesn't really exist in physical form and is locked to your account. Surely the policy is only, potentially, unfair to themselves. . . .if less than scrupulous folks make too great a use of it. Though, even so, they're out only the few cents it costs to process the return and remove it from the account.

I agree that if you read a book and just don't like it, it's less than honest to then return it just because you don't want to keep it. But I don't think this behavior is that common -- I mean, it requires a level of organization to make sure you read every book you buy within the 7 days so you have time to return it when you've finished it. I know I fell like if I get to reading a book with in a month I'm doing pretty well! ::) And, as Maria said, if you do it too often they'll flag your account. Accounts have been shut down if people return things too frequently for no good reason. . . .You risk losing access to any of your Kindle books -- or even being able to shop Amazon on that account at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I don't see how you can say Amazon's policy is unfair. Unfair to whom? It's clearly not unfair to the consumer -- in fact it's added value because I know that if I buy a book -- or someone playing with my Kindle buys a book -- I didn't really want, I can return it as long as I act quickly enough. The other ebook retailers don't do that: you buy it, it's yours, no refunds. It was a mistake? Too bad so sad -- we've got your money and we're not giving it back. Oh, and, no, you can't sell it on to someone else because it doesn't really exist in physical form and is locked to your account. Surely the policy is only, potentially, unfair to themselves. . . .if less than scrupulous folks make too great a use of it. Though, even so, they're out only the few cents it costs to process the return and remove it from the account.

I agree that if you read a book and just don't like it, it's less than honest to then return it just because you don't want to keep it. But I don't think this behavior is that common -- I mean, it requires a level of organization to make sure you read every book you buy within the 7 days so you have time to return it when you've finished it. I know I fell like if I get to reading a book with in a month I'm doing pretty well! ::) And, as Maria said, if you do it too often they'll flag your account. Accounts have been shut down if people return things too frequently for no good reason. . . .You risk losing access to any of your Kindle books -- or even being able to shop Amazon on that account at all.
I definitely used the wrong word or I didn't explain what I meant the right way. In no way did I mean to say Amazon is unfair. I love Amazon, how they run things, and if I tried to think I probably couldn't come up with one bad thing to say about Amazon. I write but do not have any ebooks selling on Amazon, and I've never returned an ebook that I purchased on Amazon, so I'm not to familiar with the return policy. So please excuse my ignorance on the subject, all I knew is that you have the option to return books no questions asked within 7 days. All I meant by the post was that if you buy an ebook (and that's meant to buy it, not if you bought it by accident), and it's formatted properly, works fine, I think you should just keep it even if you don't like it. That is if you read it and didn't like it, if someone gifted you an ebook and you don't like the author or the premise of the story then yes you should be able to return it. And after reading these informative replies I found out some things I didn't know, like what Maria says:

"Amazon won't let people "over-return" books. They do have a lifetime limit and for rampant returning, they have been known to shut down accounts. Returns should be used carefully, whether with books or anything else."

That is something I wasn't aware of, like I said I've never sold or returned an ebook, and the fact that Amazon has this policy I think pretty much proves the point that I was trying to make.

And I totally agree with you Ann, if someone buys something by accident, or if someone is messing with your kindle and buys something you don't want I think it's great you can return it, like I said Amazon rocks.

The way I wrote my first post did me absolutely no justice in saying what I wanted to say. And now that I'm thinking about it people just returning books because they're done reading them and for no other reason probably doesn't even happen that much. Every person I've ever came across on the boards are decent people, and I've never seen a post from an author complaining about it. I guess I'm just paranoid, and the funny thing is I don't even have books for sale on Amazon. Just trying to look out for the Indie Authors on these boards, I love you guys...And thanks for setting me straight ladies...Well Done...

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
No worries, Joe.  You're not paranoid.  There are people who have decided the policy meant "library."  They found out in a hurry that wasn't the case.  Turns out it isn't just with books either.  I read about a guy who was banned because he ordered things like TVs, other electronic equipment and then returned them.  Not sure what his gain was, but apparently he wanted to test them review them and whatnot and decided there was no risk...

So it does happen.  But a lot of readers are THRILLED that they can return poorly formatted books.  I know a lot of Nookies were displeased to find out they couldn't return a book--even when the WRONG book downloaded (there was a database problem for a while and some titles were mixed up.  But B&N still had no way to do a return.)  That's all been cleared up, but in some cases, a return is justified.  But so is keeping on an eye on things because someone will always test the system...

·
Registered
75 Posts
MariaESchneider said:
No worries, Joe. You're not paranoid. There are people who have decided the policy meant "library." They found out in a hurry that wasn't the case. Turns out it isn't just with books either. I read about a guy who was banned because he ordered things like TVs, other electronic equipment and then returned them. Not sure what his gain was, but apparently he wanted to test them review them and whatnot and decided there was no risk...

So it does happen. But a lot of readers are THRILLED that they can return poorly formatted books. I know a lot of Nookies were displeased to find out they couldn't return a book--even when the WRONG book downloaded (there was a database problem for a while and some titles were mixed up. But B&N still had no way to do a return.) That's all been cleared up, but in some cases, a return is justified. But so is keeping on an eye on things because someone will always test the system...
Amen to that, I totally agree for people who really need it there should be a return option and I'm glad Amazon has one. Like I said Amazon is great and the amount of business they do just proves that fact. They are a fair company who is always thinking ahead of the game that's why I love them. Well good chatting to you MariaESchneider, and have a good day...

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
albianne said:
WOW, I left my number for Amazon to call me and before I had even put the phone back on the table it rang. The customer service agent was super nice and refunded my money with no problem. I am so impressed, I had no idea that they would offer a refund on a book of all things! I love Amazon and everyday I learn something new that my Kindle can do, I absolutely love my kindle, how did I ever manage without it all these years!
The fantastic Amazon CS is why I won't even consider switching to a Nook.

They even replaced my Kindle after it was out of warranty! What other company would do that? (But believe me they make their money back lol)

Edit :Mind you on the replacement issue, I didn't expect it. I just called thinking maybe I'd get a break on the price! It might have had something to do with that I had never had a return. I don't know how they decide these things but I LOVE their CS and let's face it: That is a REAL rarity.

·
Registered
75 Posts
JRTomlin said:
The fantastic Amazon CS is why I won't even consider switching to a Nook.

They even replaced my Kindle after it was out of warranty! What other company would do that? (But believe me they make their money back lol)

Edit :Mind you on the replacement issue, I didn't expect it. I just called thinking maybe I'd get a break on the price! It might have had something to do with that I had never had a return. I don't know how they decide these things but I LOVE their CS and let's face it: That is a REAL rarity.
Replacing your kindle out of warranty is amazing, that's a real deal, straight up company, looking to do good business, and they stand by that. That's why I love Amazon. And If you buy as many books as I do I get what you mean by they definitely make their money back, HAHA

·
Registered
25 Posts
DreamWeaver said:
I made a mistake recently. I thought that a book was free, but just as I was clicking to buy I realized that it wasn't! I contacted Amazon immediat
ely via email, and within several hours they had refunded my money.
Same thing happened to me. This is what makes them a good company. Besides the fact that they are the largest online store ;) EVER!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts