Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - so this is a bit of a non-issue because I just don't bother with the "Liking" button anymore - but I've notice that it hasn't been turning up for me whenever I take a look at an Amazon listing - whether for one of my own or somebody else's e-book.

Does anyone know if "liking" is going the way of "tagging" over at Amazon?

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
The "like" button appears to be gone when I bring up books at Amazon, too. Amazon having "like" buttons was kind of silly anyway, in my opinion.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Same here on my end, I hope this is for the better, making readers turn away from the like button and encourage them to actually review/rate

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Mine are there. Maybe it depends upon what browser you are using. I know when my book was #1 in Continental Europeon Drama there was a gold ribbon by the name when I used Firefox, and that didn't show up for a couple of days with IE.

·
Registered
492 Posts
After a recent free promotion, my likes went up and I was happy that a couple of people who picked up the book liked it. Reviews are important, but the "like" button has its merits.  I noticed the button disappeared this afternoon, though.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Here I misread the title of the thread and thought it was about Amazon not liking Steve anymore. I was about to ask when it did like him. :)

Like on an author makes sense for Amazon marketing, on a book, not so much. Although from Amazon's standpoint I'm not sure reviews are something they care about at this point.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
tensen said:
Here I misread the title of the thread and thought it was about Amazon not liking Steve anymore. I was about to ask when it did like him. :)

Like on an author makes sense for Amazon marketing, on a book, not so much. Although from Amazon's standpoint I'm not sure reviews are something they care about at this point.
Oh, I think Amazon wants the reviews. Reviews are content. They are free content, free labor, and they are an asset. People will browse at the outlet with the best quality and quantity of reviews, and they may just purchase since they're there anyway.

Make no mistake. Amazon wants the reviews even more than we do.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Dalya said:
Make no mistake. Amazon wants the reviews even more than we do.
Up until the point they had to police them. Heck the cynic in me says it would be easier for Amazon to pay their own staff to review things, then to leave the system open and spend time policing it. They already have their Vines program which was "qualified" reviewers.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
tensen said:
Up until the point they had to police them. Heck the cynic in me says it would be easier for Amazon to pay their own staff to review things, then to leave the system open and spend time policing it. They already have their Vines program which was "qualified" reviewers.
I think if they can get enough mass quantity, it sorts out some of the fraud. Anyone can get Gramma to write one review to bump up a book with only 4 reviews. Not me, because my Gramma don't read no books, but ... you know.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Dalya said:
I think if they can get enough mass quantity, it sorts out some of the fraud. Anyone can get Gramma to write one review to bump up a book with only 4 reviews. Not me, because my Gramma don't read no books, but ... you know.
That's the great (read: terrible) thing about fraudulent reviews. Grandma doesn't need to read. She doesn't even need to write. She just needs an Amazon account. :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts