Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious - after reading all the feedback and speculation about the K2 and the 1.2 upgrade - To what extent does anyone think Amazon reads the boards (or their own threads)?  And acts on the information?

I can't imagine that they don't, but was wondering if it was a standard industry practice to have a person surf the net all day, documenting every mention of your product. Most likely it wouldn't be a person anyway, there's probably software out there that can gather that info.

And beyond just gathering feedback, might it also be standard practice to purposefully leaking something? Might make them more prepared for the press conference, if they had an idea of what the reaction was going to be ahead of time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I know that most companies are at least aware of web communities.

I remember reading a story a while ago about a company got in trouble for paying people to seed good reviews of their products and disparaging comments about the competition's.

I would be very surprised if Amazon didn't know about us.  But whether someone is actually assigned the task of reading what's posted here is a big question.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Many companies have alerts set up to let them know about mentions of their products.  And leaking information to generate buzz and determine interest is a tried and true technique in both business and politics.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Say it ain't so, Betsy!  LOL

Sigh!  I'm so disillusioned.

:)

Ann

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Back in the olden days - people actually got paid to read the newspapers and note articles that mentioned products, people, etc.  So I feel sure that with the computer age it is done via software but it is done.  And since Leslie is a big contributor to Amazon boards they would be absolutely DUMB to ignore any place she is  ::)

·
Registered
460 Posts
nelamvr6 said:
I know that most companies are at least aware of web communities.
I agree, I would be very surprised if Amazon wasn't at least aware of this board, and a few other boards as well. Companies like to keep track of their products and what people are saying about them. :)

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
No Amazon person has ever contacted me about the boards... But it wouldn't shock me if some members of the Kindle team occasionally browsed our forums.

As my Zune site grew in popularity, it wasn't long before Microsoft's Zune team members took notice, and started contacting me from time to time. It is possible that'll happen here, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts